Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Decreasing Hard Drive Space

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 abcweb

abcweb

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 01 June 2006 - 06:42 AM

Hi,

I am facing a serious problem where my hard drive space decreases during the day, even when I'm not using the PC, to the point where the windows alert balloon appears telling me I am running out of space. I have 2+GB free on a 40GB (37.2GB formatted) drive. Once I reboot, the system recognizes the 2+GB free space on the drive and the cycle begins again. This just started recently. I used a couple of registry cleaners recently (not sure if they have anything to do with it), Pointstone System Cleaner 5.5 and Registry Clean Expert 4. I don't think the problem was evident when using Pointstone's product. I ran chkdsk and came up clean. Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 01 June 2006 - 06:59 AM

You need to delete files you no longer need, or move them to a different drive, or save them on cds or dvds or a second drive, either external or internal..

You need to have at least 15% free space for the drive to function properly.

2gigs on a 40gig drive is way to little. 15% would be 6gigs.

Clean your temp files, delete programs you no longer use, empty the recycle bin

The registry alone is just a drop in the bucket when it comes to reclaiming space.

If your computer is operating perfectly, except for the limited space notice, eliminate all but the last Windows System Restore Point.
Think about getting a second hdd if you do not already have one. If you do, move your data to the second drive.

Edited by Enthusiast, 01 June 2006 - 07:03 AM.

#3 abcweb

abcweb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 01 June 2006 - 07:22 AM

Thanks for the reply. I have been reclaiming space, previously I had 1GB free. It's just weird that the free space keeps decreasing even when I am away from the PC, to the point where it will show 0 kb free, then on restart the full 2+GB of free space is recognized. I thought it was some kind of indexing problem? I have uninstalled several apps and I'll move some large files off to get to the 15% mark.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 01 June 2006 - 07:34 AM

You may want to shut off indexing service on the drive to save space too.

Click on the "MY Computer" icon on the desktop
highlight the disc (usually C)
Select "properties"
untic "Allow indexing service to index disk"
tic "Compress drive to save disk space"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users