Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

deleting systemstate and non systemstate backups

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 duncanwarrender

duncanwarrender

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:21 AM

Hi, Basically we have a SBS 2011 Standard machine that uses the Windows Server Backup utility to backup the following items:

System Reserved, Local Disk (C:), and DATA (D:)

But the backup destination is full and now the backups have failed for the last 3-4 nights. So how do i get rid of the oldest backups and keep the last 2 or 3? AND how do I set the backups so that everytime a backup is run the oldest backup gets deleted (or replaced with the new backup) automatically?

The local disk (C:) is 131GB, the DATA (D:) is 300GB and the System Reserved is 100MB The backup destination is 465GB.

I have tried wbadmin commands but i keep getting errors such as:

ERROR: Snapshots were found but they were outside of your allowed context. Try removing them with the backup application which created them.

ERROR - The specified backup location could not be found or is not a supported backup storage location.

All i want to do is delete everything of the oldest backup.

Thanks for reading this!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:48 PM

If you go into Event Viewer, what 0x error codes are association with those messages? You might want to start troubleshooting from there.

Check this post for steps on how to manually remove old backups and how to create a scheduled task that will run a brief script to remove the oldest backups: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/07f5e3a3-f1a0-4d18-9ace-01f1c93274c5/how-do-i-remove-old-backups-from-the-server-backup-disk-sbs-essentials-2011?forum=smallbusinessserver2011essentials

More on vssadmin here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754968.aspx

Hope that helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users