Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Toshiba Satellite C600 - P4011 powers itself off

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 eliezerben

eliezerben

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:39 AM

Hi,
I have a Toshiba Satellite C600 - P4011. For months now, the laptop would suddenly freeze. And then when the power button is pressed, it would just power off.

Since the day before yesterday though, it doesn't even freeze but just powers off all of a sudden. And when I tried to turn the laptop on, It wouldn't turn on. It was just dead but after sometime(May be 15 mins) when I turned it on, it worked.

The next day(yesterday) I switched it on in the morning and left it on just to see if the same thing would happen but it worked perfectly all the day.

But today in the morning, I faced the same problem again when I was converting a video using Handbrake. And even this time I let it be for sometime to cool down and turned it on and it worked. So I thought of posting it in this forum. What could the problem be?

Specs:
Operating system: Windows 7 Ultimate.
Ram : 2GB
Processor: Pentium Dual-Core @ 2.30GHz
Also my laptop is 32bit laptop.

One more thing, my laptops display was not working properly so the screen was removed. Now it is always connected to an external monitor. It is just used as as a home computer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:14 AM

Sounds like it is overheating and turning off. All computers can build up dust over years which blocks the flow of air. Take a can of air or an air compressor and blow air through the intake and exhaust of the computer. If you use an air compressor use no more than 40psi.'

Also please run speccy (do this before dusting it out).

• Go to Piriform's website, and click the big download.png button.

• Next, click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version.

• You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

• After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

• Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):
    p22004369.gif
  • Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot
  • You will see the following prompt:
    p22004371.gif
  • Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
    p22004372.gif
  • Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the p22004370.gif button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.
  • Congrats! You have just posted your specs!

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 eliezerben

eliezerben
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2014 - 02:24 AM

Hi,

Tthank you very much for the reply and for the step by step instructions.

Here is the link: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/F8b3V2oDnj7aruQoebzlomQ

Edited by eliezerben, 25 July 2014 - 02:25 AM.

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 25 July 2014 - 07:31 AM

Your temperatures look ok, I still recommend dusting the computer out if you have not already done so, video rendering will use the cpu at 100% which will cause a lot of heat and potential shut downs if air can not cycle through correctly.

A few questions: Does the computer work with the battery only (power adapter unplugged)? Does the computer work with the power adapter only (battery removed)?

Bad batteries can cause shut downs or problems powering on. Try to run the computer on just the battery. If the battery does not hold a charge, I recommend replacing it with a genuine Toshiba battery.

Power adapters also wear out and sometimes the cords will lose connection when they are bent a certain way, what I do to test them is use a multimeter and wiggle the end around while measuring current.

If you do not have a multimeter, you can remove the battery from the laptop, plug in the power adapter and run only from the power adapter. If you then move the power cord around or wiggle it near the jack on the computer and the computer shuts off, you may have a problem with the power adapter itself or the jack built into the computer.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 dikbozo

dikbozo

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:18 AM

Great response zingo156. I would add that cleaning the internals on a laptop can be quite daunting. I would suggest the user seek a video step by step how to on his particular model as all are not created the same. Should none be available, the more expensive option of having it cleaned professionally presents subject to cash limits.

I would second the battery removal test as I checked through the Speccy report and saw the battery levels at 100%. I would add that the first thing that occurred to me was a faulty battery.

#6 eliezerben

eliezerben
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:13 AM

Hi both of you,

I tried running the laptop on power supply without the battery and wrigling the power chord. It runs without any problem. Then I tried running the laptop on battery only and it worked fine this time too. So I guess the only option is to dust the laptop and try. I will do that.

Thank you very much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users