Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hardrive: I Think It's Nearly Had It's Life

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 01 June 2006 - 04:49 AM

I have a hardrive that makes a noise every time you click something and even hover thing it will make a noise when it bring up a box to tell you what it is, thing take there time opening and i was wondering if i can tranfer the windows installation, and programs from that drive to another? so i don't have to reactivate Windows and Office.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 01 June 2006 - 05:53 AM

The drive utility Digtal Dolly will image the drive for you. It is fairly straight forward, and free.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2006 - 08:43 AM

Many if not most retail new drives come with migration software which may also usually be downloaded from support at the Hdd manufacturer's site.

Edited by Enthusiast, 01 June 2006 - 08:44 AM.

#4 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2006 - 02:02 AM

thanks.

#5 The Shadow

The Shadow

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2006 - 03:24 PM

There are almost as many ways to move an OS from one HD to another as there are people who will respond to your post. Everyone (techie) has their favorite method.
If properly done, windows will be None The Wiser.

I would use software that I already have and use daily. Norton's Ghost 2003.

I'd first set up, partition and format the new drive to make sure its 100% OK, using my Windows ME boot disk.
Then I'd Ghost the old drive to the second partition on the new drive, in a compressed image file.
Then I'd remove the old drive and restore the Ghost Image from the second partition to the first partition.
With a reboot, the new drive would be up and running with the old OS on it.
And, I'd still have the backup image on partition #2 for future reference.

I do this stuff for a living and have for many years. My method may take a bit longer than some others, but it assures a safe and reliable transfer and NEVER fails.
Any problem with the new drive will usually show up during the partitioning and formatting stages of the process.

Izzy, I sincerely hope that you do NOT buy a Western Digital drive. Almost anything else would be preferable.
WD's quality has slipped terribly in the last year or more.
Seagate or Maxtor would be a much better choice.

Good Luck,
The Shadow :thumbsup:
For those wanting, or needing the Norton Removal Tool,
it's latest version is available Here:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...005033108162039

"The only bad backup is the one you decided NOT to make" Annonymous

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2006 - 03:14 AM

Seagates come with a five year warranty - the longest in the industry and after two WD drives that were just over two years old took a hike in the last couple of months, Seagate is the only drive I would buy.

If you use Ghost, you can also make a restore cd with it. Good idea.
The Seagate drives come with "Seatools" which among other things will migrate your old hdd to the new.

If for any reason you get one w/o the cd it can be downloaded from Seagate support.

#7 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2006 - 07:32 AM

i already have a hardrive from another computer it's not that old about 4 months i have no clue what it is apart from being a 80gb same size as the old one that's 2 and a little bit years.

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2006 - 08:56 AM

It will tell you what it is by looking at the labels on it.

#9 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2006 - 05:36 AM

Well i have the Hard Drive up and running and is running smoothly and quitely. I used ghost took me a while but it all worked out in the end and i tell you it is good to have a healty PC again for the time being.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users