Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usually high Temps

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 SuicideRUN

SuicideRUN

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:29 PM

I have an Intel Core i7-4930 with a Corsair Hyro Series H60 Liquid Cooling System. Recently Core Temp 1.0 RC6 has been saying my max temps have gone into the high 60'sC/low 70'sC. I have not been doing anything that should cause my CPU temp to go that high.

I would be watching a steam in low on one monitor and reading the news on the other. When Core Temp says my CPU temp goes from the low 40'sC to the high 60'sC. I'll open Resource Monitor and nothing there is using that must CPU power.

I scanned for a virus and was clean, Could my Hyro Cooler be faulty or is Core Temp 1.0 RC6 giving me wrong info?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:14 AM

Hi, Core Temp can sometimes provide the incorrect temperatures. Trying using HW Monitor and report back whether it is giving the same readings or completely different. 

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:22 AM

Core temp could be incorrect.

Quick question: I am not sure which chip you have specifically, some have built in video chips (I believe the extreme edition does), are you using intel HD graphics? If you are I assume it would generate some heat while streaming a video though that does seem a bit much.

It could be the water cooler. I have seen pumps fail, coolers lose liquid so they do not cool correctly (even with closed loop style coolers). If you have moved the computer recently, check that the cooler hasn't come lose or a clamp has broken etc. I am not sure how that cooler connects but I have seen plenty of clips and clamps for coolers break and then the cooler isn't making good contact with the cpu. 

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 SuicideRUN

SuicideRUN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:25 PM

Ok since my last post the temps have gotten higher into the 90s C. I shutdown my PC, checked everything, but when I rebooted I got a message that the CPU fan wasn't working and the CPU was overheating. Then it gave me an F1 option that took me to a screen to ajust the fan controls from silent/normal/turbo, no matter which I choose it said the fan speed was 0. I can clearly see every fan in my case and all were spinning. I'm on my older PC now and just before I came here I had a message pop up on my 2nd monitor saying my CPU was overheating I looked at Core Temp 1.0 RC5 and it said the temp was 208C. Then it instantly dropped to 30C. I jumped up checked my CPU fan and it was spinning and no hot air was coming out of the PC.

Normally if I'm gaming the air coming out is very warm, this was cool. My first post on this forum was about a similar issues with this PC when I was in a game and left only to see Core Temp saying my CPU temp maxed out at over 100c. What is going on? I've done virus/malware scans, and nothing. Is my BIOS giving both my PC messed up info? Two different PCs, one has AMD the other Intel.

Edited by SuicideRUN, 25 July 2014 - 06:27 PM.

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2014 - 07:18 PM

It is possible you got a virus, can you check the temperatures in bios? You could also download and run Memtest86 which should show the temperature. If the temps are too high memtest may not be a good idea.

It sounds to me like there is an issue with the amd cooler, either it isn't making contact or a heat pipe is broken. The heat sync should feel warm if it is making contact with the cpu correctly or if the heat pipes are ok.

There is liquid even in some of the standard air coolers. The heat pipes often copper contain the liquid. If the heat pipe leaks or loses liquid and pressure, it will not transfer heat.

I recommend double checking the heat syncs on both computers maybe even replace them.

You can get memtest86 here http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

The newest version is 5.01:

** Memtest86+ V5.01 (27/09/2013)**

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#6 SuicideRUN

SuicideRUN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:07 PM

I installed HWMonitor and have it running, I also bought and installed the Cooler Master Hyper 212 evo on this PC. To make sure it attached right, fresh quicksilver and all that. Now I'll wait and see what happened. After my last post before I installed all the new stuff the Core Temp 1.0 RC5 gave me another over heating warning and when I looked at the temp it said 0c then went back to 33c. Strange. I ran a full Kaspersky, Windows Defender and TDSS Killer on both this and my New PC and they found nothing.

#7 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:35 PM

What sort of temperatures is HW monitor giving you now with the new CPU cooler installed? Could you also post a screenshot of HW Monitor in your next reply. 

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#8 SuicideRUN

SuicideRUN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:58 PM

HWMonitor_zps6d5efe83.png

#9 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:46 AM

The cpu temps look ok there. The only one that stands out is TMPIN2, in most cases that temp on my builds reports 128C all the time (it never changes) which is obviously incorrect. In my experience there is no perfect temperature monitoring program outside of the bios.

Continue to watch your temps. So far everything appears to be within acceptable range.

#10 SuicideRUN

SuicideRUN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2014 - 09:10 PM

Could the Core Temp 1.0 RG6 done something to my bios of my Intel i7-4930? It seems strange two different computers will have an overheating issue within days of one another. My new PC I have the BIOS program from the MB maker installed, on the Old PC I don't, could that explain how the BIOS on my New PC might of been corrupted? And if I put the BIOS disk in and started it up could I repair the BIOS on the new system?

#11 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2014 - 11:40 PM

It is not very likely that software would cause a bios problem. It is possible some type of junk or a virus was installed with it. If it is virus related, you should see high cpu usage related to heat and you could locate the process that is using the majority of the cpu in taskmanager.

I think more likely it is just a fluke thing. Water coolers can fail along with regular air coolers. Water coolers generally have more moving mechanical parts so they are more likely to fail than a standard air cooler.

If your cpu usage is low and the temperature is still spiking at random, I would bet the cooler has a problem. Run HWmonitor and see what the max temp is. Also monitor the cpu usage and see if anything is using it at 100%.

#12 SuicideRUN

SuicideRUN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 01:05 AM

I was looking at my new PC, the setup inside. On a Corsair Hyro Series H60 Liquid Cooling System installation video it would show how to hook one up. They say to remove the system fan in the back of the case and use their fan instead. So it's Corsair back fan then the radiator. I had my PC built and it had the default back fan still in place, the radiator over that and the Corrsair fan over the radiator like a sandwich. Could that be causing my issues with the PC saying it's getting a fan error?

#13 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 01:21 AM

If you're not supposed to be running an extra fan with it, it could be. 

Many times & I've noticed this a lot on the forum recently, these software based monitors all gives different results. 

All you can do is follow the instructions & hope for the best. These CPU's are expensive, the the more reason to carefully read any instructions before installing. 

Does water cooling provide that much extra cooling? I'm just curious on this one. AMD chips tends to run hotter than Intel ones do. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#14 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:11 AM

The answer to your fan question is yes, follow the instructions for the cooler. Some fans do not move as much air or provide the same amount of pressure. Radiators typically require fans that have high static pressure.

Water cooling answer:

Overclocking is the only place you will benefit with water cooling, stock speeds even at full load an air cooler such as the evo 212 is more than sufficient. I personally got away from water cooling years ago after seeing so many fail in the retail world. I have seen them leak and destroy nearly every component in the computer, it was somewhat rare for them to leak, more often a pump would fail. Air coolers are getting pretty good so possibly something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NH-U14S-Sockets-Heatpipe-Cooling/dp/B00C9FLSLY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406470475&sr=8-1&keywords=NH-U14S might keep up to a water cooler with good case airflow. It is big so if you buy one make sure it will fit in your case.

With my 4770k, I can run it at 4.2GHz full load with an evo 212 cooler and never go above 71C, at stock clocks it never goes above 65C. With modern cpu's in most situations there is no need to overclock. Gaming currently does not use a stock 4770k at 100%, actually even in cpu heavy games such as GTA4, I have never seen usage above 30%.

IMO, if you don't intend to overclock to max potential, stay on air cooling, it is less likely to fail in a manor that could cause damage. If you want a slight overclock, get a decent aftermarket air cooler. There are many options.

Edited by zingo156, 27 July 2014 - 09:21 AM.

#15 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:48 PM

zingo156, thanks a lot for your input above.  :thumbup2:

I believe that I'll stick to the air cooling standard, as I don't OC. If I don't have enough CPU, the answer is simple, replace it with one that'll do the job. There's at least one Intel CPU that runs at 4GHz out of the box, though I may need a MB upgrade, maybe not. However I have tons of extra power if needed, untapped. 

Screenshot-7.png

Am wanting to find in the next 2-3 months a low profile cooler for the i7-4770, the EVO 212 is too large for the XPS 8700's case. Especially being that I've added a GPU. However, I don't believe it would fit anyway, was challenging to find a GPU that would, a couple of better NVIDIA were less than a half inch tall from working. Not that my temps has shot up like mad, but they're like 6-8C more at idle (34-36C) & 10C more under load (48-52C). For the first month or so of use, it ran at 28C idle & barely broke 40C under load. 

However, these increased temps has been steady, hasn't continued to rise, just want to get a jump on it before another jump is made. The one thing in my favor, is that I normally run Linux Mint 17, so less demand on components. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users