Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound Issues - Device in Use when nothing is running?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 MysticDragon

MysticDragon

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:24 PM

Hello,

I am not sure if this topic has been discussed but I am having a new issue with my sound.

I haven't installed any new programs, nor have I updated to 8.1 and I haven't changed anything either.  I have done multiple scans to see if there might be a virus but nothing is found on any of them!  

I went into my playback settings and when I click on the "TEST" button I get an error message stating that another program is using the device and to close any apps running.  The thing is I have sound fine when the laptop first starts up and then once I let it sit for about 5 minutes I have no sound!  That is with NO OTHER programs being opened by me!  I'm assuming that something is starting up that I don't know about and that must have been installed without my knowledge but I'm at a loss as to how to go about figuring out what it is and how to stop it.

I'm not sure if anyone can help me here but I would so appreciate any advice on what to do.

Thanks so much!

Cheryl.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Paulito

Paulito

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:52 AM

• Not sure on forum etiquette when it comes to links but below might be worth a shot.

• Right-click on the white speaker icon located in the system tray on the Windows task bar near the clock.

• Choose Playback Devices

• Select the audio device that you would like to adjust (i.e. - AudioBox, FireStudio)

• Click Properties

• Choose the Advanced tab

• Uncheck the Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device box (both boxes will be disabled now)

• Click OK.

• Repeat these steps for any additional devices on the Playback tab (e.g. - the AudioBox 44VSL and 1818VSL will have multiple Playback devices listed)

• Repeat these steps for any devices listed on the Recording tab.

• Reboot your computer to affect the changes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users