Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How and what ports do I close to stop hacker brother from spyin on me?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 nubeman

nubeman

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:32 PM

How and what ports do I close in windows 7 to stop hacker brother from spyin on me? please explain it in simple terms and step by step

intructions so I can understand it! remember I am a nube . Oh also please dont say encryption iv'e already tried that it doesnt work. I just need to know what ports to close in windows 7 and how thank you.

Edited by hamluis, 24 July 2014 - 09:00 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Gen Security - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,620 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:27 PM

Please provide as much info as you can about the "spying" of your brother. Because he could just be looking at your network traffic on your LAN, and then closing ports will not help you with that.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#3 nubeman

nubeman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:12 PM

all I know mr. stevens is he can see what im doing online and he can lag out my internet I tried hotsheild ip proxy with treaming encryption and that didnt stop him either . if its not the ports then what do i do?

#4 nubeman

nubeman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:25 PM

also he can hear me on skype and watch me on xbox live please help me tell me what to do to get my privacy back.

#5 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,620 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:32 PM

The first thing that comes to mind is spyware. Are you on the same network (e.g. in the same house)?

You are both major?

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:27 AM

A man in the middle attack is what comes to mind for me.  If it is a man in the middle attack you're out of luck.  If your brother has control of the network you're not going to be able to do much, since this affects both Skype and X-Box live I would assume this is probably the case.

Lagging out a connection is easy to do, just start a large download or torrent.

Odds are your network is set up using a PC as a router.

#7 nubeman

nubeman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:10 PM

Its not spyware mr.stevens i have spybot and malewarebytes and yes kilroy and mr. stevens he lives in my house but he also spys on my cousins computer and he lives in a different house. and he knows what im saying on skype live he can also temporarly knock me offline please dr.stevens kilroy the must be somthing i can do

to get privacy or can i turn it on him knock him off the network temporarly and revers his spying on me see how he likes it i have the right I pay the online bill or some way of not being spyed on also he is not just in my cousins computer internet but his skype and xbox live to and again my cousin lives in another house and has his own internet. id let you both kilroy and dr. stevens scan my network and tell me what to do to get privacy back its my network  you name the time . eitherway any advice would be welcome.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,564 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 29 July 2014 - 03:41 PM

Who owns the house where you and your brother live?
How old is your brother?
Have you confronted him about spying?...If so, what did he say?
How many computers are in the house?...Do you use a router?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#9 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:54 AM

the first "port" to close would be the door to the room where your computer is. put a bleeping huge lock on it, your brother may hack(or think he can hack) but he probably cannot pick locks. the second thing to do is to get your machine running on a totally separate connection from anything he has, you can buy "mobile brodband" dongle cheaply at many mobile phone shops but it is a pretty low bandwidth connection(barely suitable for youtube let alone online games). your failure of a proxy to work means anything he is doing (remember he might just be claiming he is capable of attacking your machine) is probably on the local network in your house, i'm guessing you do share the same router and connection by the things you've said. i would give more advice but the grammar in many of your posts makes them quite difficult to understand, logically laid out sentences and correct spelling would help. 

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#10 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 30 July 2014 - 04:21 PM

@nubeman:

Along with the super excellent advice posted above, please consider:

Linux w/Skype, TAILS, Free/Paid VPN, physical security and parental supervision requests.

Get your brother a fun job with the NSA and move him up to Fort Meade, Maryland or an interesting foreign posting.

If your your computer has been hacked, you might consider having a Malware Removal Helper assist you in mitigating any residual malware, which includes spyware.

Once your system is determined to be clean, please consider blocking a hacker's computer IP address and elevating all manner of security precations.

If you employ a Wi-Fi connection with your home's router, you might insure that the use of WPA2-PSK encryption is enforced and change your password(s) to those that challenge common password cracking tools. Some of this does not preclude a hacker's use of a Wireshark type of monitoring application though. Consider using convoluted password phrases versus words.

Yes - as gently and politely as we can be nubeman, please do improve your grammar & spelling. As a parent of grown children, I can directly corelate their life successes to their length and depth of education.

HTH :)

Edited by 1PW, 30 July 2014 - 04:25 PM.

All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

#11 nubeman

nubeman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:22 PM

Im sorry about my grammer however I have recently discoverd that my computer sends out a ping when requested im on windows 7 please tell me how to stop the ping. on another note I know someone who lives in my neighborhood that speaks better than me and has a catholic school education do you know what she does for a living shes a bikers working girl yeah a good education wasted all for nothing. good education dosnt account for a loss of morals and I wont even mention her kids because there a lost cause.

#12 nubeman

nubeman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:24 PM

and yes we are on a router quiteman provided by brighthouse

#13 nubeman

nubeman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:27 PM

and where do i get WPA2-PSK from

#14 nubeman

nubeman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:31 PM

my computer is currently being hacked and I have learned from a website that my computer sends out a ping when requested I use windows 7 please someone tell me step by step how to stop my computer from sending out pings?

Mod Edit:  Merged with existing topic - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 02 August 2014 - 11:49 AM.

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,564 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 01 August 2014 - 08:24 PM

You didn't answer the other questions.

Who owns the house where you and your brother live?
How old is your brother?
Have you confronted him about spying?...If so, what did he say?

With that information there me some legal avenues we can direct you to pursue.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users