Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Message On Screen

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 sharpie

sharpie

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 01 June 2006 - 03:05 AM

hi-
everytime my computer boots up there is a message on the screen that says "please wait while windows configures word perfect office 12" and i wait...and wait...and wait...and it doesn't go away and the only way i found that i can shut it off is if i go in through the task manager and turn it off. is there a way that i can prevent this message from coming up every time i turn the computer on?
-thanks so much :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 01 June 2006 - 06:29 AM

Hi Sharpie
It sounds like an installshield issue or possibly a missing reg entry.
Is this a new installation or something just recently popped up?
If you have the installation cd, run a repair install via Add\Remove in control panel.
Choose WordPerfect Office 12 from the list
Click Change/Remove and select the repair option.
Click next and follow the instructions.
If it's an OEM installed version and you don't have the installation cd, whatever you are killing via task manager you can probably disable all together. Check your services and disable from there first if listed.
If there's nothing listed, use msconfig.
Before you do that though, when you "end task", what does the exact entry (line) say as far as the task itself?

Edited by HitSquad, 01 June 2006 - 06:34 AM.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2006 - 07:10 AM

The easiest fix would be to remove it from the start menu. That way it wouldn't start when you boot and therefore you wouldn't get that message on booting.

I recommend you use startup Inspector to regulate your start menu as it is much simpler to use than msconfig (which was designed by MS for troubleshooting anyway and not for permamently removing things from the start menu).

Startup Inspector
And
Startup Monitor

http://www.windowsstartup.com/download.php

While you're there, get Startup Monitor too. It is a small ap that will notify you if any ap tries to load itself into your start menu and give you the choice to let it do so or not.

If you have Spybot, there is a similar tool to remove start menu items in it.

After you remove Word Perfect from the start menu - reboot. You should not see the warning anymore.

To see if you have some corruption in Word Perfect, open it from your programs menu.
If it opens - fine. If not you may need to uninstall it and reinstall it again or repair it.

Edited by Enthusiast, 01 June 2006 - 07:13 AM.

#4 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2006 - 09:30 PM

hey thanks for the replies-
i dont have the disk because wordperfect was already on the computer when i purchased it. i downloaded the startup inspector but i cant find wordperfect on there. how would i find it?.....i do have spybot search and destroy so how could i use it to help with this?
-thanks so much

Edited by sharpie, 01 June 2006 - 09:31 PM.

#5 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2006 - 09:39 PM

there is also another message box that says "wordperfect-the feature you are trying to use is on a cd-rom or another removable disk that is not available. insert the wordperfect office 12 disk and click ok"
.....but i dont have a disk.... :thumbsup:

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2006 - 06:43 AM

What it looks like is that you had a trial version of Wordperfect that has expired - a common trick pulled by most major computer manufacturers today, or you may have the required installation disk under the "Corel" name. If you have the disk, finish the installation as long as it is not a limited time trial offer.

Use add/remove programs in the control panel to remove Word Perfect from your programs unless you want to buy the full installation version. If you don't see it there go to start/prograns and look for it there - hover the mouse on it and look for unistall. If it is there, use it.

If that isn't effective:
It may be called something else in add/remove, but it is not a Windows component. It may be listed under "Corel". If you can't figure out which entry it is on your add/remove menu list all the entries here and maybe we can help figure out which it is.

Once you get it out of the computer you can get a program named "Open Office" to replace its functions. Open Office will do everything Word Perfect will do and much more, and is freeware.

#7 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2006 - 05:37 PM

thanks you-
i was thinking of getting word,but can i buy that seperate or do i have to buy the whole microsoft office kit?

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2006 - 09:51 PM

You can buy Word as a separate, stand alone ap.
I use Office and like it, but the cost is prohibitive unless you need everything that goes along with it, but there are several versions and the stand alone Word ap.

As I mentioned, Open Office is free and worth trying unless you just must have Word. It will read and write all Word formats and more, even PDFs I believe (which Word will not do). Try it.
You can always add Word.

Edited by Enthusiast, 02 June 2006 - 09:52 PM.

#9 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2006 - 05:50 AM

i used the start up inspector but i can't find the message. any ideas?
-thanks

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2006 - 08:12 AM

Open Startup Inspector and highlight each entry one at a time (use one left click with the cursor on the entry) and look in the bottom pane.
That will tell you what program the entry is connected with.

Edited by Enthusiast, 04 June 2006 - 08:13 AM.

#11 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2006 - 10:53 AM

on a few of them i dont know what they are because when i click on it and scrool down all it says is N/A (unable to retrieve program memory status

#12 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2006 - 03:05 PM

You aren't looking for program status or "information on the program".

What you are looking for is the "Title" which should be on the top line in the bottom pane on the right after you highlight the program in the top pane.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users