Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for a New Desktop PC

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BRodgers

BRodgers

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:51 PM

Hello,

I'm new here and this is my first post. It's been a while since I've really followed PC technology and the last PC I bought was back in 2004. Many things have changed since then and have become a bit more complex. Since I've not been paying attention I figured it would be best to consult those of you who have stayed "in the loop" who might be able to point me in the right direction.

My Current PC is the Gateway GT5432 - Athlon 64 X2 5000+ 2.6 GHz - 1 GB - 320 GB which I bought refurbished for around $600. Only upgrade I've done to it was upgrade the RAM to 4 Gb.

I'm looking to just replace the tower. I don't need an Operating System, Keyboard, Mouse, Speakers, Monitor, etc...

I believe when I bought my PC the AMD Athalon was the bees knees, now it appears that the i5 and & i7 are atop the charts from what I can tell. I would like to find a refurbished model cuz it'll be cheaper and somehwere around the $400-$500 range. I've also considered a bare bones kit, but I'm not sure I'd be able to put it together correctly or what it might be missing that I would have to order separately to get it up and running. I see that the barebones kits are a bit less than whole dektop pc's, again, I'm not really sure what they're all about.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:48 AM

Here is an HP 8100 that is pretty decent.  I recommend 8GB of RAM.  You may get a faster machine with 4GB, but the RAM will limit it.

#3 BRodgers

BRodgers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:25 PM

Wow! That's a good find, and an i7 at that. Nice!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users