Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

vga memory

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bigrobifer

bigrobifer

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:51 PM

I have a cpu/gpu integrated intel t3500 processor. When i look at the video memory using Intel Graphics and Media Control Panel under the Options and Support tab in the Information Center it says  "Minimum Graphics Memory, 64mb - Max Graphics Memory, 1308mb - Graphics Memory in Use 25mb". 

Is it normal for the graphics in use memory to be less than the minimum graphics memory? If not what can i do to make it right? My graphics driver is way out of date but i cant download the newest driver, for some reason it wont let me accept the TOS in order to download, trying to work that out with intel though.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:06 PM

With integrated graphics, the minimum and maximums you see are the amount carved out from your RAM when you boot up.  That is controlled by your settings.  The 25 MB is use is probably a snapshot of the current moment which will vary with differing use of the computer.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,913 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:30 PM

Many things come into play when the CPU gets to decide how much memory to use for video.  Drivers and programs will set certain performance parameters within their operations, returning them to a minimal system requirement when the program closes.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:31 PM

Is it normal for the graphics in use memory to be less than the minimum graphics memory?

That would not be unusual, the 64MB minimum is the initial reserve amount of system memory that the video system allocates, as already mentioned if any more is required under UMA the extra can be allocated and released dynamically. The amount of video memory actually being used by the desktop and applications can be quite small.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 bigrobifer

bigrobifer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:31 PM

this might sound dumb. whats the easiest way to flush the memory. i wanna look at it.

#6 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:43 PM

Flush in what manner?

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

#7 bigrobifer

bigrobifer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:25 PM

like a memory dump. I want to see if my diagx is getting a correct reading and maybe even what all drivers or apps are using the memory there.

#8 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:46 PM

A memory dump of an integrated video card's allocated memory? Now that ought to be interesting. I know no way of achieving this, but surelly someone more script savvy could help you out

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

#9 bigrobifer

bigrobifer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:15 AM

I dont think its posiible either. I guess i would need to debug the kernal. I'm hunting down a problem i think is in memory. Like a memory cache somewhere where it shouldnt be.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users