Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

One Of My Drives Won't Boot, Can I Still Access The Data Within It?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 buffbiff21

buffbiff21

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 01 June 2006 - 02:37 AM

Hi, recently i got infected (to my knowledge) by Spysheriff and a variety of malware stuff.

I tried to remove them with various guides on the net, but i was not successful. My old drive (Lets call it Hard Drive A) was running, and then it suddenly froze (likely due to my tampering with the registry keys as instructed by a guide). Hard Drive A would not boot thereafter, thus forcing me to reformat another drive (Hard Drive B ) I had laying around.

I run Windows XP, with a relatively old PC (2002), IE 6.0.

My question is: can i still access the data on Hard Drive A, perhaps hooking it up as a slave so it does not have to boot?
Or is the Drive A completely corrupt?

Edited by buffbiff21, 01 June 2006 - 02:39 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 01 June 2006 - 05:14 AM

You could always remove the hard drive and install it in another computer as a 'slave' drive. The working computer should still boot up from the 'good' Master hard drive, and then you will be able to navigate (Start > My Computer) to the slave drive and recover your data. More info on how to install a second drive can be found HERE.

But of course, if you need help with this or any other procedure you can just ask for help here and we can explain it in more detail or refer to somewhere on the web where it will be explained more fully.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2006 - 08:56 AM

Hi, recently i got infected (to my knowledge) by Spysheriff and a variety of malware stuff.

I tried to remove them with various guides on the net, but i was not successful. My old drive (Lets call it Hard Drive A) was running, and then it suddenly froze (likely due to my tampering with the registry keys as instructed by a guide). Hard Drive A would not boot thereafter, thus forcing me to reformat another drive (Hard Drive B ) I had laying around.

I run Windows XP, with a relatively old PC (2002), IE 6.0.

My question is: can i still access the data on Hard Drive A, perhaps hooking it up as a slave so it does not have to boot?
Or is the Drive A completely corrupt?

You are using Hdd B right now and it has Windows installed on it - correct?

If it is, you can connect Hdd A as a slave and access the data on it.
Make sure both Hdds are jumpered correctly and placed properly on the IDE cable (the master on the end and the slave in the middle)

#4 buffbiff21

buffbiff21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2006 - 03:48 PM

Ok, I forgot to say that Drive B DOES have Windows XP installed. Also, i am familiar with installing another drive, as i have done so a few times.

Secondly, a minute ago i just tried to connect Drive A as the slave, ( i jumpered it correctly and plugged it in correctly) and when i turned the computer on, it said: system boot failure. and then it prompted me to insert system disc.

I removed the cable from Drive A, restarted, and the computer worked again.

Is there something im not doing right? Should I try to plug in Drive A while Drive B is running? Ill try to get a picture of the screen.

Edited by buffbiff21, 01 June 2006 - 03:57 PM.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2006 - 04:24 PM

If the jumper was set properly and you connected it to the middle connection on the same IDE cable that the working hard drive is connected to, the hard drive may be bad.

Make sure the jumper was set properly because if it was set to cable select it could have been selected as the boot drive. Look at the HDD manufacturer's support site for the jumper placement information because it wouldn't be the first time that the label on the hard drive itself was printed wrong.

#6 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 01 June 2006 - 10:11 PM

The BIOS on my motherboard is "smart" and every time I install a new hard drive (master or slave, primary or secondary channel) it will look for a boot record and, if it finds one, reset the boot sequence. Your machine may be doing the same thing.

To correct this I have to go into BIOS SETUP and reset the boot sequence manually.

Edited by DaveM59, 01 June 2006 - 10:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users