Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File Extension

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 acidburned

acidburned

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 01 June 2006 - 01:02 AM

i just found some files on my windows xp.the file extension is sqm.the whole name is sqmnoop t14.sqm.does any one know what this is?i tried searching for it,but i cant find anything on it.

Edited by jgweed, 02 June 2006 - 07:01 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 01 June 2006 - 01:42 AM

Do you, or have you ever had the game, Operation Flashpoint, installed?
.sqm
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2006 - 08:00 AM

Extension: SQM
Program and/or Extension Function
Operation Flashpoint Mission

Company
Bohemia Interactive and The Codemasters Software Company Limited

Website
http://www.flashpoint1985.com/

#4 acidburned

acidburned
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2006 - 01:58 PM

no i haven"t.i dont even know what it is,but ill look at their site.i dont hardly use my windows xp except for printing and thats rare too.thank you for your answers though.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2006 - 02:46 PM

If you do not recognize the game go to the control panel, then click on add/remove programs, when the list populates see if you find anything relating to the game's name or the company and if you do, uninstall it.

Let us know.

It might be called Armed Assault, Virtual Battleship or some other name.

Edited by Enthusiast, 01 June 2006 - 02:48 PM.

#6 acidburned

acidburned
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2006 - 02:59 PM

ok i will let you know what happens. thank you for your help. steve

#7 acidburned

acidburned
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2006 - 07:40 PM

alright i looked under the add and remove and i cant find any game,i have never installed any games on here.so what do i do now? how did they get on my computer? thanks again.

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2006 - 06:49 AM

You have kids?

Or, it may have come preinstalled if your computer was commercially manufactured.

#9 acidburned

acidburned
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2006 - 02:42 PM

nope and nope.i only use windows xp once in a great while.i otherwise dual boot with linux and just use linux,and since linux cant write to ntfs and i dont have any games on my linux,it is very strange.my computer is 5yrs old and it came with windows me.i have been using xp for 2 yrs and since last year,i only use it to print,it runs to slow cause i only have 128mb ram.

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2006 - 03:15 PM

Just in case I suggest that you run both Adaware and Spybot and then submit a HJT log for diagnosis.

If you do not already have these freeware aps installed on your computer, you can get them at the following sites:

*AdAware SE: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download506.html

*Spybot S&D: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

Following that that I suggest you post a “HijackThis” log for expert assistance with a possible malware infection.

Read the pinned post in our “HijackThis” forum,
here
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
Carefully read and follow all directions explicitly.

Following instructions create a HJT log, and POST THE HJT LOG YOU CREATED IN OUR HJT FORUM – not in this forum,
at this link.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/posthjtlog.html
Include the specs for your computer (ie, processor, amount of RAM, brand or motherboard, etc, and briefly describe the problem you are experiencing.)

Unless you are expert at editing the registry, Do not use the Hijack This program to try to fix anything by yourself as even what may seem to be a small mistake can render your operating system inoperable.
Some files when in the correct folder for them may be fine while in another may be malware hiding.

A member of our expert HJT Team will analyze your log, make recommendations and offer assistance, walking you through the complete repair process.

It may take a period of time to get a response to the log you posted because the members of our HJT Team are kept very busy.
Please be patient as this team is manned by volunteers. They will help you in order received as soon as possible.

NOTE
Once you have posted your HJT log, please DO NOT make any additional posts in the HJT forum thread you created until you get a response from a member of our HJT expert team, and do not make any changes to your system (changes, including any attempted repairs, will make your computer to be different than displayed in the log you posted and therefore make your log inaccurate).

The first criteria the HJT Team has when looking for logs that need replies are posts showing 0 replies. If you make an additional post, it will show as having 1 reply.
A team member, looking for a new log that requires help might well assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and might not open the thread to respond.

So, post your HJT Log in our HJT Forum (not here in this forum) and wait for a response from a HJT team member.

#11 acidburned

acidburned
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2006 - 06:30 PM

ok thank you for your help

#12 zouriel

zouriel

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 14 October 2006 - 10:27 PM

Do you have Windows Live Messenger?
With MSN Version 8 beta on <i think>
they started dumping sqm files in the root of C

examples of the file names are

sqmdata00.sqm
sqmnoopt12.sqm

if u want to kill them uninstall MSN Messenger and then the files if they were not removed during uninstall

#13 Trying

Trying

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 08 July 2007 - 12:40 AM

Hi Ya,

New to the site today. Found it as a result of a Google search specifically for the sqm file extension.

Interesting information.

My question - Can the sqm file be deleted from the root directory or will doing so cause difficuties?

Cheers in advance of any responses.
Better to ask a question and be thought a fool for 5 minutes, than remain one for the rest of your life.

Better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!

#14 Nikas

Nikas

• Members
  • 650 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2007 - 12:51 AM

.SQM are files that are created when you sign in to MSN Live Messenger.

You can delete all files that ends with the extension of .sqm. You won't get into any problem after deleting it.

#15 Trying

Trying

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2007 - 03:22 AM

.SQM are files that are created when you sign in to MSN Live Messenger.

You can delete all files that ends with the extension of .sqm. You won't get into any problem after deleting it.

Hi Ya,

Thanks. Sometimes you need to be a little careeful.

Cheers.
Better to ask a question and be thought a fool for 5 minutes, than remain one for the rest of your life.

Better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users