Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

secondary hard drive not detected in disk management

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 alexmark

alexmark

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:28 PM

I've had a constant stream of problems with my laptop and the plan on restoring it to factory settings ( which was the conclusion for my last post about these problems you can read here

" http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/541117/a-few-laptop-issues/")

and installing windows 7 but before i do that i wanted to tie up some loose ends and make sure i have any important files on my secondary hard drive  since from what i understand restoring my laptop to factory settings wont affect my secondary hard drive

so my problem is my  i cant find my secondary hard drive in disk management i checked around online and most of the answers i had gotten was that i didnt set up my hard drive correctly but ive been using this hard drive for 2 years i just didnt recently set it up and it was working fine untill yesterday where i had some starting up my computer saying "error: no such device grub rescue" turned out to be a problem with ubuntu and the solution was to use a repair disk that i got from here

"http://sourceforge.net/p/boot-repair-cd/home/Home/"

i ran that and it fixed my start up problem but i couldnt find my secondary hard drive and ubuntu (which i was using as a second OS)  was gone which was on my secondary harddrive.

i checked the bios and found it  it was in AHCI Port4, Vendor :ST9320421AS , its a seagate momentus laptop hard drive

i also checked in device manager and couldnt find it which i assume means its driver was deleted. looking for drivers as i type this and ill try to download them and see if that fixes it but im putting up this post incase it doesnt work ill be able to get feedback from people on here

TL;DR

my harddrive has been working for years but it suddenly decided to disappear yesterday

shows up in bios

does not show up in device manager or disk management

thanks ahead of time for any help, almost gave up today and decided to go to geek squad  since ive been dealing with constant laptop problems for a week but im gonna keep trying to fix it myself with the help of people on this forum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:41 PM

Not sure but Device Managment may not see it now as a new boot loader was installed. Was the missing hard drive formatted other than NTFS? the Ubuntu Live CD should be able to detect your other drive. If you do not have the Ubuntu Install disk download Puppy Linux. Boot the disk and see if it can detect your secondary hard drive. It should if it is detected in BIOS.

Puppy is a little different in copying files. It is easier if you open a separate window for the hard drive and any external drive you have then drag and drop between folders. Another Linux disk with a nice file manager is the Kaspersky Rescue Disk or Parted Magic.

#3 alexmark

alexmark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:51 PM

im currently using a live version of ubuntu on my usb and my second hard drive doesnt show up on ubuntu either 

when i was talking about currently looking for a driver i found and downloaded this

"http://www.solvusoft.com/en/update/drivers/internal-hard-drive/seagate/momentus-laptop-hard-drive/st9320421as/model-numbers/"

which did nothing but download driver doctor  but driver docter needs to be connected to the interent to work which is something i cant do on windows 7 atm so could somone suggest a better place to find a driver for my hard drive

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,017 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:00 PM

I don't think it's a driver problem in regards to a secondary hard drive not being seen by the OS. Any driver needed should already be included in the OS. Can you remove the drive and connect to another computer? Very strange that BIOS detects the drive but Ubuntu and Windows does not.

Open a terminal in Ubuntu and type

fdisk -l

Is the secondary drive detected

I would avoid those programs that update drivers over the internet at all costs.

#5 alexmark

alexmark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:18 PM

I need to go somewhere so ill be reply later tonight i tpyed fdisk-l in the terminal  and i got this

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ fdisk -l
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ fdisk
Usage:
 fdisk [options] <disk>    change partition table
 fdisk [options] -l <disk> list partition table(s)
 fdisk -s <partition>      give partition size(s) in blocks

Options:
 -b <size>             sector size (512, 1024, 2048 or 4096)
 -c[=<mode>]           compatible mode: 'dos' or 'nondos' (default)
 -h                    print this help text
 -u[=<unit>]           display units: 'cylinders' or 'sectors' (default)
 -v                    print program version
 -C <number>           specify the number of cylinders
 -H <number>           specify the number of heads
 -S <number>           specify the number of sectors per track

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ fdisk -l

Edited by hamluis, 26 July 2014 - 03:17 PM.
Removed uneecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,017 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:11 PM

okay, I believe it's because you need the sudo command.

Type this in terminal

sudo lsblk -o name,label,size,fstype,mountpoint,mode

#7 alexmark

alexmark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:52 PM

heres what came up i had 2 usb's in at the time the secondary hard drive didnt appear though

sudo lsblk -o name,label,size,fstype,mountpoint,mode
NAME LABEL SIZE FSTYPE MOUNTPOINT MODE
sda 112.7G brw-rw----
├─sda1 System Reserved 100M ntfs brw-rw----
└─sda2 112.6G ntfs brw-rw----
sdb 15G brw-rw----
└─sdb1 GIGASTONE 15G vfat /media/ubuntu/GIGASTONE brw-rw----
sdc 3.7G brw-rw----
└─sdc1 UUI 3.7G ntfs /cdrom brw-rw----
sr0 1024M brw-rw----
loop0 922M squashfs /rofs brw-rw----

Edited by hamluis, 26 July 2014 - 03:21 PM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,017 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:06 PM

i don't understand how BIOS can see the drive while Ubuntu and Windows cannot. Try moving the drive to another SATA port. Move it to the port of the primary drive leaving the primary drive unattached to any SATA port. Boot the Ubuntu Live CD and see if it can be detected. If that does not work, do you have the ability to attach the drive to another computer?

Edit: Okay, you can disregard the changing of the ports. This is a laptop. But, can you move the secondary drive to the primary drive location and see it if is detected. I am wondering if it may be a motherboard problem or possibly a hard drive problem. The hard drive failing could have been the reason you had the initial error.

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 July 2014 - 09:17 PM.

#9 alexmark

alexmark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:44 PM

when you ask me to move the secondary hard drive to the primary hard drive location are you asking me to physically switch them? Im not too confident in opening up my computer but ill see what i can do

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,017 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:24 AM

If you are not confident enough to do that then do not proceed. Windows and Ubuntu did not detect the drive. The last thing to try would be the

fdisk -l command again as

sudo fdisk -l

Is the drive detected? It should see any drive not mounted.

#11 alexmark

alexmark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:42 PM

here's sudo fdisk -l, still looks like its not there

Spoiler

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,017 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:50 PM

I would have to say either the drive or motherboard is bad. Have someone you know remove the drive who is comfortable doing it and attach it to another computer either by using an external enclosure, attaching it internally to a desktop, or by using a USB adapter.

Edit: Here is another command you can try to see if it says anything of the other drive

dmesg | tail

Edited by hamluis, 26 July 2014 - 03:23 PM.

#13 alexmark

alexmark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:42 PM

ill reopen this  topic at a later time since  im still dealing with all the other problems i mentioned above i figured this would be a quick fix but it seems like im going to have to put some effort in to fixing this and it isnt as urgent ill be able to survive on one hard drive for now.
Thanks for all your help

Edited by hamluis, 26 July 2014 - 03:22 PM.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,017 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:53 PM

No problem. Sounds like a plan. Keep us updated and Good Luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users