Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with my new Panasonic cordless phone set - talking caller ID

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 WheresMySledgehammer

WheresMySledgehammer

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:42 AM

Hi, if anyone has experience with this I'd sure appreciate feedback.

I recently went shopping for a new cordless phone set for my land line. Did research online and settled on the Panasonic KX-TGD223N - here's what it looks like:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/panasonic-dect-6-0-expandable-cordless-phone-system-with-digital-answering-system-champagne-gold/5012129.p?id=1219106282130&skuId=5012129&st=panasonic%20kx-tgd223&cp=1&lp=1

I've been disappointed in the quality, or lack thereof, in the talking caller ID. I've heard other people's cordless phones with this feature that I could understand. But this one garbles things a lot of the time. For example, I get a call from Walgreen's reminding me of prescription renewals. It comes out of Omaha. So the display reads "OMAHA NE" - and the female-sounding voice in my phone says, "Oh-MAY-heh en ee." On some names of my friends it does better, but overall I guess I had expected better results.

The feature, which I specifically shopped for, has proven less useful. Basically, all I can derive from it is that if it sounds like gibberish, it's probably a telemarketer or other undesired call. But I hate to be wrong on that and miss a call from someone I want to talk to. I suppose a simple workaround would be just to have the handset with me and read the Caller ID, but I wish I hadn't paid the extra money for the talking feature, y'know? :unsure:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:00 PM

Return it to the store.

Ask "the other people" what brand and model they got and get the same.

Problem solved.

You can't really do much about it. It is what it is.

Cheers!

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#3 WheresMySledgehammer

WheresMySledgehammer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:18 PM

Well, it's an okay phone set otherwise, and I don't wish to have to hassle with shopping for another one. I guess I'll live with it; I'm just curious for feedback from others who have possibly had this model - it's a fairly new model, I think. I forgot to mention I've had it about 3 months really - time flies. My burning question is whether technology for these home phones is just not that advanced yet? As in, a person would have to have some very sophisticated system to get closer to true text-to-voice accuracy?

Plus, the person whose system I thought was better is, sadly, deceased and his ex-wife/widow I've pretty much lost contact with and she may or may not even have the phone set.

Edited by WheresMySledgehammer, 23 July 2014 - 01:19 PM.

#4 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:48 PM

Well, it's an okay phone set otherwise, and I don't wish to have to hassle with shopping for another one. I guess I'll live with it; I'm just curious for feedback from others who have possibly had this model - it's a fairly new model, I think. I forgot to mention I've had it about 3 months really - time flies. My burning question is whether technology for these home phones is just not that advanced yet? As in, a person would have to have some very sophisticated system to get closer to true text-to-voice accuracy?

Plus, the person whose system I thought was better is, sadly, deceased and his ex-wife/widow I've pretty much lost contact with and she may or may not even have the phone set.

I also bought a DECT 6.0 wireless phone more than a year ago. It also has a caller ID but it doesn't talk. Instead, people keep talking about it whenever they see it.

See for yourself :

WP_20140723_18_03_41_Pro.jpg

Cheers!

Edited by badr0b0t, 23 July 2014 - 05:49 PM.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#5 caintry_boy

caintry_boy

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:10 PM

Well, mine is obviously older, but I have this model Panasonic...>  http://www.ebay.ca/ctg/Panasonic-KX-TG4031-1-9-GHz-1-Line-Cordless-Phone-/94137914 with 4 individual handsets. Love the phone, but like yours the talking caller ID is messed...it's cause its made in China or Japan or the likes...

:tophat:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users