Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Driver problems or malware??

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Scarlet Skippy

Scarlet Skippy

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:20 AM

On a family computer, I keep getting told there are driver problems, and asked to purchase software to resolve the issue. I installed Malwarebytes, and Norton 360 Premier Edition 2013 edition today. I have also changed the User accounts, so there is a separate Admin & User account on the pc. It is running Windows 7 Professional. Malwarebytes found some cookies, and one programme. Prior to installing these there were several unknown programmes in the Control Panel, which I uninstalled, but I feel they may be more embedded. Can you please suggest what programmes to run to ensure all these programmes have been fully removed? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 maggot7

maggot7

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:30 PM

"Please download AdwCleaner and run it.

An image like the one below will open, click on Scan.

adwcleaner11_zps48314883.png

Once the search is complete a list of the pending items will be displayed.  If you see any which you do not want removed, remove the check mark next to it.  

Click on Clean to remove the selected items.  If you have any questions about any items in the list please copy and paste the list in your topic so we can review it.  

You will receive a message telling you that all programs will be close so that the infections can be removed.  Click on Ok.

When the cleaning process is complete a log of what was removed will be presented.  Please copy and the paste this log in your next post."

(Composition credit goes to dc3)

#3 Alex&Vanko

Alex&Vanko

• Banned
  • 1,394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:44 PM

Hi Scarlet Skippy and :welcome:

May I see what program has found Malwarebytes,the log is in:

C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs

If you have driver problems there must be exclamation mark or question mark when you go to device manager.

1. lick on the Start button and then choose Control Panel.

2. Click on the System and Security link.

Note: If you're viewing the Large icons or Small icons view of Control Panel, you won't see this link. Simply click on Device Manager and then proceed to Step 4.

3. In the System and Security window, click on the Device Manager link located under the System heading.

4. You can now use Device Manager

Have you done a scan with Norton?Is there indications here.Does the problem still remains with installation of unknown programs and this asking to purchase?You didn`t have protection before or?

Please download MiniToolBox HERE to your desktop to run it.
Checkmark the following boxes:
* List content of Hosts
* Flush DNS
* Report IE Proxy Settings
* Reset IE Proxy Settings
* Report FF Proxy Settings
* Reset FF Proxy Settings
* List last 10 Event Viewer log
* List Installed Programs
* List Devices (do NOT change any settings here)
* List Users, Partitions and Memory size
Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.
Click Go and Copy / Paste the result. (result.txt)

Thank you!

Sorry! Yes we may do a scan with AdwCleaner after that.I didn`t notice previous post.

Edited by Alex&Vanko, 23 July 2014 - 12:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users