Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows vista not booting going into recovery mode

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cosmos600

cosmos600

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:48 AM

Hi 

Please could someone help. I have a dell inspiron 1545 laptop windows vista 64 bit os which will not boot goes into black screen with moving cursor I have tried all the tests in recovery mode and tried to boot in safe mode but cannot. I have bought recovery disc for vista and cannot seem to get it to work.

Thanks 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:10 PM

In order to boot from the recovery disk you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the DVD/CD drive is the first device and the hdd the second device.

If you need further instructions you can find help at this website.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 cosmos600

cosmos600
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:08 AM

Hi 

Thanks for your reply. I cannot seem to make the disc work have changed the BIOS. Is there any other way to repair and reboot the system also have tried system repair and the screen is black with moving cursor. I have noticed when choosing different options for booting up system that a blue screen flashes up for a moment then goes. Desperately need the computer working as I use it for work.

Thanks   

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:35 AM

When you made the changes in the BIOS did you click on F10 to save the changes and then exit?  If you did not save the changes they will not take effect.  If this is the case you will need to make those changes again, us the F10 key to save the changes.  

Since you are using this computer for work you need to be aware that using the recovery disk or the system recovery partition will return the operating system to the condition it came from the factory.  This means that any programs you installed via a download or disc will be gone.  This will also remove data saved on the hdd will be gone, pictures, documents, e-mails and addresses, etc.  You can take the hdd out of the laptop and install it via a USB connection and transfer your data to either the hdd on that computer or save it on a removable form of media, like an external hdd, flash drive, disc, etc.  You will need an external hdd enclosure in order to connect the other computer, you can purchase one for $7.99 at Newegg, shipping is free.

You have posted that you cannot boot into Windows normally or in Safe Mode, but you mention using the repair options.  Does this mean that you can boot as far as the Advanced Boot Options?  If you can, there is another partition on the hdd which contains the System Recovery partition, but it will convert the operating system to the way it came from the factory, just like the like the results of using the recovery disc.

Edited by dc3, 24 July 2014 - 10:38 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 cosmos600

cosmos600
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:57 AM

Hi

Thanks for your reply. Yes I can get into advanced boot options, but would prefer to save all applications and data as they are used for work. I have ordered a external hdd Sata holder. Would I be able to save the programs on the laptop such as microsoft word.

Thanks    

#6 cosmos600

cosmos600
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:31 AM

Hi

I have removed the external hard drive and encased and plug the system into two different computers - one a desk top the other a laptop and neither recognise the hard drive  - nothing shows in computer section of systems. does this mean it is dead. Am I doing anything wrong 

thanks

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:52 AM

Disconnect the external enclosure from the computer and look in Disk Management to see what drives are recognized.  Reconnect the external enclosure and look it Disk management to see if a new drive is recognized.

To open Disk Management copy and paste the following in the search box and press Enter.

diskmgmt.msc

#8 cosmos600

cosmos600
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 03:16 PM

Hi

Thanks for your reply. No I cannot see if a new drive in disk management when I plug the external enclosure back in.

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users