Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Urgent Laptop BIOS Issue

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 raidang

raidang

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:08 PM

I had received many laptops distributed by the Govt. to students passing their 10th standard in my state. The problem is that it came pre-installed with Ubuntu Operating system. Almost all students who had received the said laptop want to get Windows installed on their system. But this laptop does not allow BIOS access. Tried Del, ESC, F1, F2................................F12 keys and other combinations as well but nothing works in this laptop to access the BIOS settings to change the boot order to CD-ROM or USB Drive.
I guess the govt. people have tampered with the BIOS to totally disable BIOS access. I have tried with local or other computer technicians in and outside my place but nobody has got any idea. The laptop is a Forstar mini laptop, a never heard laptop brand. Seemed like imported cheap Laptop from China.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:09 AM

Yes they are cheap imported laptops, and the BIOS is locked. I have also been unable to find any manufacturer information online.

There are Indian companies offering the service to get them Win 7'd, but they look dodgy at best. There is a way to get to the BIOS, but it may be an unusual key combination or even a hardware pin bridge.. Even then, there are no published drivers for Windows and the laptop will probably function poorly.

I suggest you encourage your students to embrace the opportunity to learn Linux, it would be excellent advice.

TsVk! :busy:

#3 raidang

raidang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:37 AM

now what am i supposed to do?

#4 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:12 AM

Your only proper hope would be use another computer to install Windows 7 on a fresh drive, and replace the HDD in the existing computer. I'm not quite sure this is worth the effort.

mYIGVc5.png

#5 raidang

raidang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:34 AM

It does not even work this way...the display becomes totally blank by performing your mentioned process.

Can I flash the BIOS? 

The BIOS is:
Vendor: Phoenix Technologies Ltd.
Version- CDVW316W [2013/04/03] X64
Release Date- 04/03/2013

But i am unable to find the above mentioned BIOS in any website for download. What am i supposed to do??

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:19 PM

I agree with TsVk! that the students should embrace linux. Also there is less chance of getting infected by malware. That being said, you can do the following but there is a possibility it could render the computer useless. I should also say that I have used the floppy version of this software but have not installed it to the MBR of the hard drive. TsVk! would have more experience than me in regards to installing it to Grub2.

You would need to install the Plop boot manager to Grub2 as noted here. When you boot, it will let you choose between, floppy, CD Rom or USB. If it works, after installing the Plop Boot Manager, attach the bootable USB and reboot the computer. The Plop boot Manager Screen should appear and let you choose a boot device. Even if you get this to work, finding Windows 7 drivers could be problematic.

http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager/index.html

http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager/mbrinstall.html#grub2inst

http://www.plop.at/images/bootmanagerv5/bootmngr5_1.jpg

http://makegadgetswork.blogspot.com/2012/02/how-to-boot-from-usb-when-bios-does-not.html

(step by step install to grub2)

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 July 2014 - 12:20 PM.

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:59 PM

now what am i supposed to do?

Get the students to learn Linux.

If you try to force and installation of Windows you will end up with a relatively expensive doorstop. I mentioned that that there are no Windows drivers available for this machine model, the machines will not work correctly with Windows. (if at all).

Windows can be loaded as a virtual machine and used when essential inside the Ubuntu workspace. VMware Player and Virtualbox are great free solutions for this.

TsVk!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users