Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

when on wifi the internet is slow and bogging down whole network

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 anomale

anomale

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:14 PM

If I am connected via wifi the download speed is 2 meg and it affects all the computers in the house (all are 2 meg)  when I disable the wireless adapter and plug into the router directly with a cable the speed increases to 50+ meg on all computers.

I am using a toshiba laptop S855-S5381

I have performed a full scan using kaspersky internet security and malwarebytes both clean

I have ran windows update and installed all updates

I have reinstalled the wireless nic drivers

still the same result.

aside from buying a new wireless adapter for this laptop (if its even possible)  can you recommend other things to resolve the issue?

It seems like a hardware issue to me however I would think if the hardware was bad it wouldnt work at all which is causing me to think it may be software related.

thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:46 PM

Are there any other wireless networks in your neighborhood on the same channel?  If there are then you will be sharing "airtime" with them.  Which band and channel are you on?

#3 anomale

anomale
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:13 PM

no it is a secure network wep and when I disable the wireless on my laptop the rest of the computers go back up in speed so it has something to do with my laptops wireless 

#4 anomale

anomale
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:14 PM

sorry misread your question.  I cant see any other wireless networks when in my house 

#5 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:52 AM

WEP is an old outdated and insecure security protocol.  That may be why you are dragging down the performance of your network.  You should be using WPA2 (if your router supports it).  What's the make and model of your router?

I cant see any other wireless networks when in my house

What do you mean by that statement?  Are you saying there are other wireless networks in your neighborhood but you don't detect them on your laptop when you are in the house?

#6 anomale

anomale
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:25 PM

sorry I just checked and I am using WPA2 .  regarding the other networks, I am sure my neighbors have internet with wireless networks but I am not able to see their networks in my house.  The houses are spaced out pretty far apart so I don;t think there would be an issue with the networks conflicting.  

#7 anomale

anomale
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:28 PM

i ran a netalyzer test and according to their results I am having a 14% loss in packets.  here is another test result During most of Netalyzr's execution, the client continuously measures the state of the network in the background, looking for short outages. During testing, the client observed 18 such outages. The longest outage lasted for 1.2 seconds. This suggests a general problem with the network where connectivity is intermittent. This loss might also cause some of Netalyzr's other tests to produce incorrect results.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users