Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help connecting wifi

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 d-roc

d-roc

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:13 PM

So recently me and my gf moved into a new apartment, and shortly after we got internet from cox, getting the preferred service, of which they gave me a Ubee modem/router. They told all I would have to do is connect it and I would be good to go because the place I moved to was still connected for internet...Well I got home, did so...it can be a little spotty at times but it does work. However we have came across a problem with my girlfriends laptop.

She has Dell Inspiron N5110 laptop with Windows 7. She can go and search for wireless networks, find ours, type in the password, and it says it connects, but nothing will load when she tries to access the internet, maybe every once in a while will something pop up but for the most part it just loads until it times out. Her computer was recently reloaded, and she has been able to access wifi back at her old place, but not here. She called tech support and they mostly just talked her in circles, ended up telling her she has a virus, which she does not, was recently reloaded, has active anit-virus software, and has only been on the internet once since her reload... I'm not too knowledgeable about networks and the sort and was hoping for some help I've tried a few things like making sure the drivers were up to date and etc but other than that I'm at a bit of a loss, but I"d really like to get it fixed so she can start doing her homework on her computer. I'll provide more info if needed. Thanks. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:21 PM

Can you plug the machine in via ethernet and run the tools below.

Also please run the Minitoolbox when the machine is disconnected from ethernet.

Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your desktop.
  • Close all open programs and internet browsers.
  • Double click on adwcleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • Click on Scan button.
  • When the scan has finished click on Clean button.
  • Your computer will be rebooted automatically. A text file will open after the restart.
  • Please post the contents of that logfile with your next reply.
  • You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt as well.

Please download MINITOOLBOX and run it.

Checkmark following boxes:

Flush DNS
Reset FF proxy Settings
Reset Ie Proxy Settings
Report IE Proxy Settings
Report FF Proxy Settings
List content of Hosts
List IP configuration
List Winsock Entries
List last 10 Event Viewer log
List Installed Programs
List Users, Partitions and Memory size
List Devices (problems only)

Click Go and post the result.    

#3 Tomterific

Tomterific

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:21 PM

The last post was July 22nd. Was this resolved? I have this problem and need similar? help to
fix a problem I'm having with a Asus model X54C, windows 7, laptop that I just purchased from an acquaintance.

It will not automatically connect to my wireless router but when forced to with the "Troubleshoot Windows Networks Diagnostics" helper it will connect and stay that way until sleep is used, then it must be forced to conn again. And when the diagnostic finds the problem it says "wireless capability is turned off".

This shouldn't be so tough should it? Maybe there's an app I should download that can fix this?

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:42 PM

The usual solution for the issue you describe is to go into the network interfaces properties and then click on the power tab.  Disable power settings.  This will stop the nic from going to sleep and ending the connection.  You would do this from the network and sharing center and then click on change adapter settings. Right mouse click on the lan card and select properties.  You will see power management tab.  This is where you uncheck the let the computer turn off this device to save power.

#5 Tomterific

Tomterific

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:45 AM

There are two interface modules listed (seems strange on a laptop, huh?), but neither had the checkmark for save power.
Any other things I need to check?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,973 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:16 AM

Here is a step by step with pictures on setting power managment on the network adapter. From your post, are you saying there is no powermanagement tab as shown in the link?

Edit: If you have two Network Adapters shown, one is probably Wireless and the other Ethernet.

Edited by JohnC_21, 20 August 2014 - 09:17 AM.

#7 Tomterific

Tomterific

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2014 - 02:34 PM

Same as what I just did. But no auto connect after sleep or shut down.
Some other things to check?

#8 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2014 - 02:43 PM

I would go into control panel power management and disable any and all power management.  See if that corrects the issue.  if not...

You would enter the BIOS and got to the power setting there.  I would just disable everything to see if the problem goes away and then add one back at a time until the problem surfaced again. This assumes the problem goes away.

#9 Tomterific

Tomterific

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2014 - 03:37 PM

In the properties for the adapter, I saw that there is no network address listed under "Value". Could that be the problem?

#10 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2014 - 03:53 PM

No that is the way it should be which is blank.

#11 Tomterific

Tomterific

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:15 PM

This did fix it partially:
I would go into control panel power management and disable any and all power management. See if that corrects the issue
It still needs to be manually started after sleep.
I'll look into the BIOS now.

#12 Tomterific

Tomterific

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2014 - 03:29 PM

Reloaded Windows OS and of course the Wi-Fi finds, connects and stays connected now.
Some things are too marvelous to understand....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users