Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Annoying Tracking Cookies

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 computerclueless

computerclueless

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 31 May 2006 - 10:02 PM

I am sick of these tracking cookies I keep getting again and again. These include live365.com, zedo, Yieldmanager, Burstnet, revenue. What do I do to prevent them, other than using Spyware Blaster and my windows and Symantec firewall? And how bad are they really? They don't come up on my other scans except ewido (except live365.com, which only comes up on Ad-Aware Personal)
"I'm computer clueless. I seriously am. So clueless, in fact, when I first got my computer, I couldn't figure out how to turn it off for an hour. I mean, come on, how is someone like me going to look for the button to turn off the computer on the Start Menu?" - Personal Quote

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,985 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 31 May 2006 - 10:31 PM

Those are all third party cookies and can be blocked in IE and firefox. In IE Control panel/internet options/privacy tab/Click on advanced button/ check override automatic cookie handling/ check accept first party cookies/block third party cookies/click OK

In Firefox : Tools/options/click on cookie tab/ check allow sites to set cookies/check for originating sites only/check ask me every time/click OK

Edited by buddy215, 31 May 2006 - 10:39 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2006 - 11:47 AM

On a scale of 1-10 (1 being the lowest, 10 being the highest), tracking cookies would be either a level 1 or 2 threat. These cookies are created everytime you visit a certain website. Follow buddy's advice for blocking the cookies if you want to, but you can also clear all of your cookies by doing the following:

On Firefox:

Open Firefox
Hold down on Ctrl + Shift + Del
Check the box next to cookies in the window that appears
Click Clear Private Data Now

On IE:

Open IE
Click Tools
Select Internet Options
Find the Temporary Internet Files Section
Click Delete Cookies
Once the cookies are done being deleted, click Ok.
Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

#4 computerclueless

computerclueless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2006 - 02:21 PM

Thanks so much you guys! I will definetly use your advice!
"I'm computer clueless. I seriously am. So clueless, in fact, when I first got my computer, I couldn't figure out how to turn it off for an hour. I mean, come on, how is someone like me going to look for the button to turn off the computer on the Start Menu?" - Personal Quote

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users