Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk imaging of windows 8

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Paulito

Paulito

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:32 PM

Hi,

I'm looking to create a disk image of my W8 drive on a separate HD, is there any free software that could do this?

It's currently 45GB so ideally it would compress as well as create an image, i know expecting a lot for free.

Also I'll be installing Linux Mint of the save drive as W8 in order to have something to boot into (for troubleshooting) should W8 go belly up, would the disk image pick up any change in the MBR or does it not work like that?

Cheers,

Paulito

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:30 PM

Easeus has a number of such programs.  I've been using Easeus Todo Backup Free for over 2 years, and it works well for me.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 Echokrush

Echokrush

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:13 PM

Hello.  :)

A free tool to create a disk image of your hard drive would be Macrium Reflect Free version. There are paid versions of Macrium Reflect, too. There's other disk imaging software such as Acronis True Image, but they're not free.

With the disk imaging software, you'll have to select all the partitions pertaining to Windows and Linux. Then proceed to make the disk image. There's a very good tutorial on how to use Macrium Reflect and how to create a disk image.

#4 Paulito

Paulito
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:51 AM

Thanks,

I was looking at Macrium but wasn't sure the free version would do what i wanted :-)  Easeus i have to be honest and say i have never heard of, i'll have a read up when i get to work.

With the disk imaging software, you'll have to select all the partitions pertaining to Windows and Linux need to image both partitions? or is that just so i get the MBR right?

#5 Echokrush

Echokrush

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:22 AM

Select both so you can get the MBR.

#6 Paulito

Paulito
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:52 PM

Well I tried Macrium and can say i was very impressed by it's speed and it's options, especially given that's it's free.

One question though, does a 14.7GB image sound about right for a 120GB disk?

#7 YuriP

YuriP

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:53 AM

Hello

Windows does have this feature by itself as well, did you give that a try already? It works really well to my own experience :) Let me know what you think about it Windows System Image

#8 Paulito

Paulito
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2014 - 03:01 PM

Hi Yuri,

Trouble with that is that it is an exact copy in size, Macrium compressed my image quite considerably and at nil cost :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users