Home built of used & new parts a junk yard dog lol
M.B. ECS NFORCE4m-A ver3 runing AMD dual core 3.8 has had bios update
OS. Windows 7 ult. 64 bit , and Linux Unbuntu dual boot with boot manager for selection at start up
430 watt after narket Thermal take powersupply
2 hard drives: Seagate Barracuda 500G, WD 160G
eGForce 7200GS video card
generic pcie sound blaster (china) sound card
8 add on US ports: 4 front, 4 rear
Has run fine for 2 years
1. Sound failed approx 6 days ago, sudden failure between bootups
A.) history:onboard sound has never worked since I got it from a friend a couple years ago
1.) tried driver and bios updates no resolution
2.) installed generic sound blaster card as work around.
B, Current info.
1) windows shows no audio device installed
2) checked device manager : no errors but no sound devices either
3) pulled the card and downloaded and installed the current realteck win 64 drivers
4) the generic sound card has no name so I don't know wher to get drivers ,but don't recall needing them
2. No video not even bios, sudden failure between boot ups
A. can hear post long beep and hard drive spin up
B. have tried removing and swaping video cards; card checks good in this machine I'm now using and it's former card does not work in the Homebuilt ECS
C. have removed all memory except 1 stick closest to processor assumed to be slot 1 , then swaped it and stick location.
D have disconnected uSBs all cards but know good video , hard drives, DVD All drives .
E. Board looks good no bad looking caps ,all fans are working and clean Realitivley) has front and rear case fans as well as AMD CPU fan and best quality replacementSUNION chip set fan.
So what next ? what have I missed ? removing the CPU ? I'd like to make this a how to test your MB post as well as get help I am willing to rewrite to make more generic or add notes like (your brand version here)