Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Would wiping my computer fix internet issues

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Swagman2K14

Swagman2K14

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:09 PM

so after 4 days straight of trying to fix my internet issues after the removal of Malware, I'm losing the will to live. I'm wondering if I completely wipe my computer and put a fresh install of windows 7 on, if that will reset all internet settings, registries etc and allow me to connect to the internet?

Cheers

Jordan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:28 PM

Usually restoring to factory settings is a better option because it takes care of all your drivers and any software that was preinstalled on your computer when it was new.  Not knowing any details about your system, that's about all I can tell you.  If you want to pursue this further,  please download and run Speccy from here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/speccy/ .  After running it click File -> Publish snapshot... Copy and paste the link it gives you into your next post.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:02 PM

Well, after looking over your earlier post http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/541880/internet-access-but-no-internet-scan-included/  I would suggest you hang in there a bit longer. Most likely someone will be along to provide you with some help. Don't be too quick to toss the baby out with the bathwater.

It's also recommended that you stick with your previous above link posting if you have more to add.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:15 PM

Personally I'm not a fan of malware/virus removal.  I'm from the Boot and Nuke school of thought where only by wiping the drive can you be sure the malware is gone.  Since it has been four days without Internet you should be able to get back up and running with a fresh install.  Back up your data and reinstall.  You can always Boot and Nuke if you want to be sure the drive is clean, however a normal format should clear out most malware.

#5 Swagman2K14

Swagman2K14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:31 PM

Thanks for your help guys, I will give it another day or so and then do the Boot and Nuke suggestion. Thanks a lot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users