Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Saving A Hard Drive Help!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lauraashley

lauraashley

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 31 May 2006 - 09:46 PM

my computer is dying. there's a warranty tech guy coming to replace the power supply... the fan had stopped working. i'm just worried because all i really care about is my hard drive and all of my files and stuff... so i'm just asking for advice i guess. should i go ahead and have that fixed and hope that messing with it more doesn't ruin the hard drive, or should i scrap it and take it out and hope that it's not already damaged? i would just make it into an external hard drive... and buy a new computer. just looking for any help or advice i can get! thank you!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 01 June 2006 - 12:02 AM

If your problem is only the PSU, and the hdd or other components didn't see any abnormal voltage spikes, you shouldn't have any problems.

Let us know how things turn out after the new PSU is installed.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 01 June 2006 - 05:19 AM

dc3 is correct.

Power supplies go bad. It is quite common. Usually without damaging anything else. You need to devise a regular backup regime for your data so as not to be in this position.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 01 June 2006 - 08:50 AM

If you are having to pay for this repair and you really want a new computer then get the new computer and hook up the old Hdd as a slave.

If it's a warranty repair let them attempt to repair it. You can still opt for a new computer after its fixed.

If the Hdd is still good, after the repair you can back up your data or use XP's migration wizard to transfer your data to a new computer or use XP's backup utility to save the data to cds or an external drive or whatever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users