Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Athlon 64 x2 6000+ to FX 6300

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 brandontech4294

brandontech4294

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:46 PM

In the past half year or so, I've been browsing around and tickling the idea of upgrading my desktop or just building another one. I decided I'd just upgrade my computer and use the same case.

Current PC
- AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ (3.2Ghz)

- AMD Sapphire R9 270 Dual-X

- 4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800Mhz

- 500 GB HDD (7200rpm)

- CD/DVD

- Abit AN-M2HD (9.6" x 9.6")

Rebuilt PC

- AMD FX6300 Black Edition (3.5-4.1Ghz)

- AMD Sapphire R9 270 Dual-X

- 8GB Patriot Viper DDR3 1600Mhz

- 500 GB HDD (7200rpm)

- CD/DVD

- ASUS Micro ATX DDR3 2000 AMD AM3+ Motherboard M5A78L-M/USB3 (9.6" x 9.6")

This might sound like a stupid question, but will I be seeing a HUGE performance difference? I would assume yes considering I'm comparing a 7 year old processor to a 1 year old processor, but since I haven't been keeping up with computer stuff in depth, I don't know for sure.

What gains in FPS might I be able to expect? or how much difference will I see in my computer's speed? (consider the fact that my current computer has been recently reformatted, so the computer runs almost optimally for it's ability)

Edited by brandontech4294, 22 July 2014 - 03:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jeremiah Fish

Jeremiah Fish

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:11 PM

It will be quite a significant increase in performance, yes. Many of the newer titles like DayZ and ARMA II/III are heavily CPU bound and you'll definitely see an increase in their performance. But it will overall be a very decent upgrade, considering your older CPU fell below the minimum requirements for most current games. With Windows in general I doubt it'll be much of an increase, a SSD, newer HDD or more RAM if you were limited before might have a greater effect on overall computer speed, more multi-tasking might be possible this time around.

Edited by Jeremiah Fish, 22 July 2014 - 06:12 PM.

#3 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:16 AM

Depends on what game, you will have a difference, but not too much in FPS, as you made no effort to upgrade the GPU. Obviously, the CPU plays a part in CPU-intensive games, but they normally require much more rendering from the GPU.

mYIGVc5.png

#4 brandontech4294

brandontech4294
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:27 PM

Depends on what game, you will have a difference, but not too much in FPS, as you made no effort to upgrade the GPU. Obviously, the CPU plays a part in CPU-intensive games, but they normally require much more rendering from the GPU.

Well, I didn't see any real reason to upgrade the GPU when that R9 270 Dual-X runs perfectly fine anyway, it's definitely not a low-end GPU. I would hope frames would be higher since I'm pretty sure I can get way more out of that card than a 7 year old dual core processor can handle. 

#5 sr1030nx

sr1030nx

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:39 AM

I would recommend getting an SSD, the mx100 series is your best performance/dollar.

#6 dikbozo

dikbozo

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:58 AM

The two things that will definitely make a noticeable improvement are the CPU and the RAM. The CPU's improvements over your surprising X2 will be more than just the speed boost as the extra cores will add a smoother multi-tasking experience. The etra volume an d the higher speed of the RAM will be quite obvious to you in the quicker loading times and task switching.

Several above have urged a switch to SSD. I am ambivalent on the use of these in desktops. The do offer quicker system and application booting times but IMHO and IME little else. The recent evaluations published IIRC over at Tom's Hardware, did not convince me as to the general applicability of these devices to everyday use in desktops. I can see them used in laptops due to power and heat issues but again the reliability of the devices needs to have better detection which as yet is lagging in software. This last is a strictly personal observation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users