Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Dell XPS 420 is not starting?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bluedoggie2122

bluedoggie2122

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:45 PM

Hi Bleeping Computer,

For 6-7 years my computer has been working fine but today when I started it up I got a black screen with this text:

"Intel Matrix Storage Manager Option Rom v7.6.1.1001 ICH9R"

I have no clue what that means.

Anyways, my computer would stay there and then go to start up repair where it would not find an answer and tell me to send the information to microsoft or don't do anything and restart the computer. When I restart it goes back to that black screen I mentioned and then go back to start up repair and then continues to repeat those two screens again and again. I'm sure my computer is clean since I only use hulu, youtube, and do my h.w. Please help me, I'm not very tech savvy.

My Computer Specs:

Dell XPS 420

It's a quad core but I don't know the model.

Thank You.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:40 PM

Can you boot to Safe Mode?  Have you tried booting from a Windows install disc and doing a repair?  If you can get to Safe Mode, you could use the Startup tab of MSCONFIG to disable everything except your antivirus program from starting.  Note: avoid the other MSCONFIG tabs.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:16 AM

Will Vista boot up in the Safe mode? (F8)

Do you have more than one HDD, and in a RAID 0 array arrangement?

If you would like us to know more about your system's hardware as sold, goto:
<http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Products/?IsTag=False&IsInvalidSelection=False>
and enter your computer's Dell Service Tag number. If you believe you are not publishing personal and confidential information for the world to see, please reply with your system's Dell Service Tag number here.

Do you have a full system back-up?

Edited by 1PW, 23 July 2014 - 05:23 AM.

All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

#4 bluedoggie2122

bluedoggie2122
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:28 PM

Hi,

Thank you for the replies. Mr. wpgwpg I cannot boot into safe mode and the windows install disk repair option did not help.

Mr. 1PW I  have one HDD and I did not back up my computer but it is okay, there is nothing important on there. I found this with your link - hopefully it helps:

Service Tag
3GCQDF1
Computer Model
XPS 420
Shipping Date
1/7/2008
Country
United States

Part Number
Quantity
Description
CR457
PROCESSOR, Q6600, 2.4, 8MB, CDKE, G0
DN004
ASSEMBLY, HEATSINK, PERFORMANCE, SHROUD, MATRIX TANK DESKTOP
HR749
ASSEMBLY, CHASSIS, PWA INTEGRATED, 375W, EXTREME PERFORMANCE SYSTEM, 420
5120P
CORD, POWER, 125V, 6FT, SPT2, UNSHIELDED
KU170
PAD, MOUSE, METAL, IMAGE WORKS MFG INC, EXTREME PERFORMANCE SYSTEM
CK630
Display, Flat Panel, 20, E207WFP, Black, Dell Americas Operations
CM199
Kit, Software, Mcafee, 9, Compact Disk Drive, English
CJ339
MOUSE, UNIVERSAL SERIAL BUS, 2BTN, WHEEL, LEAD FREE, OPTICAL, BLACK
WX085
Card, Graphics, 128, 2400 Professional, MRMGA11
JW893
ASSEMBLY, PANEL, FILLER, FLOPPY DRIVE, TANK, EXTREME PERFORMANCE SYSTEM
DC094
ASSEMBLY, CABLE, Serial ATA, OPTICAL, MATRIX,SMITH,MINI TOWER
UU971
ASSEMBLY, DVD+/-RW, 16X, Serial ATA, HALF HEIGHT, TOSHIBA SAMSUNG STORAGE TECHNOLOGY
R109C
Kit, Software, Turbine, Lord Of The Rings, Extreme Performance System, DELL AMERICAS ORGANIZATION
KX158
ASSEMBLY, COMPACT DISK READ WRITE/DIGITAL VIDEO DISK DRIVE COMBO, 48, TOSHIBA SAMSUNG STORAGE TECHNOLOGY, Serial ATA, BLACK
CM251
Kit, Software, Adobe, PRE, 4, W#2 XPS420
GY530
Kit, Software, Adobe, Soundbooth CS3, Digital Video Disk Drive DIXV
WP376
Kit, Software, Adobe, Photoshop Elements, 6, Compact Disk Drive England, DIXV
JF495
MODEM, V.92, DATA FAX, INTERNAL, SON2, LEAD FREE, DELL AMERICAS ORGANIZATION
DJ331
KEYBOARD, 104, UNIVERSAL SERIAL BUS, UNITED STATES, ENTRY, LITEON, BLACK
HX425
Kit, Software, Overpack, VHP32 A01, Digital Video Disk Drive England
UH854
KIT, SPEAKER, 120V, BLACK, AS501PA, DELL AMERICAS ORGANIZATION
KX795
Hard Drive, 320G, S2, 7.2K, 16M WD-TOR
PN424
DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE, 1G, 667M, 128X64, 8, 240, 2RX8
WM551
DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE, 512, 667M, 64X64, 8, 240, 1RX8
UN495
Kit, Software, MS Office Home and Student-2K7, English

#5 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:02 PM

All my Dell PCs have either come with discs for restoring to factory settings or instructions in the user guide for making the discs.  If you don't have them, you can probably get Dell to send them to you for a small fee ($30 ball park I'd guess).  

When you've gotten your system back like you want it, I urge you to get yourself an external hard drive and a good 3rd party backup program. You can set it up to do everything automagically at the time and frequency of your choice. 1 TB external hard drives are about $60 these days and a really good FREE backup program is the Easeus Todo Backup Free.  That can save you a lot of time and frustration the next time something like this happens. Sooner or later it happens to all computers for one reason or another.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#6 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:23 AM

The above post seemed to get trashed by trying to make an edit after the initial post. Oy!  I deleted it - Hamluis.

The main idea is to use the owner's manual to run hardware diagnostics from a separate partition unrelated to Windows Vista.

Start around page 87 of the Dell™ XPS™ 420 Owner’s Manual

Edited by hamluis, 27 July 2014 - 11:39 AM.

All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

#7 bluedoggie2122

bluedoggie2122
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2014 - 11:22 AM

Thank you and sorry for late reply. Mr. Wpg Wpg I will try to set it back to factory default and I will try out that back up program you mentioned. Mr. 1PW I will look at the page from the owners manual. Again, thank you for the replies.

Edited by hamluis, 27 July 2014 - 11:39 AM.

#8 bluedoggie2122

bluedoggie2122
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:39 PM

It didn't work. I'll just take it to the shop. Thank you for all the replies and help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users