Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slowdown after joining domain

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 ITFury

ITFury

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:19 PM

I have a java application hosted on a local server that runs great....until I join the client to the domain. I would like to determine exactly what changes are made when I join a computer to the domain that might be causing this issue.

Unjoining from the domain does not make the machine fast again.

Excluding the computer from group policy prior to rebooting after joining the domain does not stop the issue from occurring.

The machine is fast until after it reboots from joining the domain.

GPResult doesn't show any applied user or computer policies.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:29 PM

How many different versions of Java do you have running - throughout the network.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 ITFury

ITFury
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:54 PM

My test environment has only been running with Java 7U65. I haven't done much in the live environment since testing went sideways. I found something very odd out today. If I disable Windows Firewall using "netsh advfirewall" everything starts running great. If I just stop the firewall service, things stay slow. I'm not clear on what the differences between these two actions is exactly and how that could affect this application.

I tested the firewall by adding rules that unblocked all TCP ports inbound and outbound and saw no improvement.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:01 PM

We were having a similar problem, ended up disabling IPV6 across the domain.

I don't know if this will work for you though...

#5 ITFury

ITFury
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:09 PM

I disabled IPv6 on the local machine per Microsoft's instructions. Are you suggesting that I need to go further?

We were having a similar problem, ended up disabling IPV6 across the domain.

I don't know if this will work for you though...

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:12 PM

Did it resolve the issue on the machine?

#7 ITFury

ITFury
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:08 AM

Did it resolve the issue on the machine?

Disabling IPv6 did not resolve the issue. This is a very strange problem.

#8 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:40 AM

Hmmm, sorry... I hoped my solution may help you. I will think on this.

#9 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:15 AM

Hi,

My test environment has only been running with Java 7U65. I haven't done much in the live environment since testing went sideways. I found something very odd out today. If I disable Windows Firewall using "netsh advfirewall" everything starts running great. If I just stop the firewall service, things stay slow. I'm not clear on what the differences between these two actions is exactly and how that could affect this application.

I tested the firewall by adding rules that unblocked all TCP ports inbound and outbound and saw no improvement.

Check if the firewall have some rules added for specific exe's related to java, sometimes it's necessary to create exceptions for the programs besides opening the ports. The beaver you describe seems totally related with firewall because when the machine is added to the domain the firewall rules applied will be the ones set for Domain Profile.

8420.clip_5F00_image001_5F00_thumb.png

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#10 ITFury

ITFury
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:33 AM

I have set exceptions for java.exe, javaw.exe, javaws.exe, and javalauncher.exe.

Edited by hamluis, 24 July 2014 - 12:42 PM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

#11 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,188 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:41 AM

Including for the Domain profile?

Edited by hamluis, 24 July 2014 - 12:43 PM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#12 ITFury

ITFury
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:07 AM

Is there a good way to tell what policies have been applied to a computer? I used gpresult but the user and computer sections just say:

Computer Configuration
No data available.

User Configuration
No settings defined.

I have three policies that should be disabled that do make firewall changes. They are all grayed out and should not have been enforced for the last year.

#13 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,188 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:20 AM

As far as I know that is only for policies applied thru the domain.

I'm not sure you understand my last question. You have set exceptions for java.exe, javaw.exe, javaws.exe, and javalauncher.exe on the firewall but did you edit the rules and confirm the Domain check box is checked on the Advanced tabProfiles section like the image I post?

Edited by hamluis, 24 July 2014 - 12:45 PM.

___
Rui

#14 ITFury

ITFury
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:25 AM

As far as I know that is only for policies applied thru the domain.

I'm not sure you understand my last question. You have set exceptions for java.exe, javaw.exe, javaws.exe, and javalauncher.exe on the firewall but did you edit the rules and confirm the Domain check box is checked on the Advanced tabProfiles section like the image I post?

Ah. Sorry about that. Read too fast. Yes I did check both boxes in the firewall rules. I also created an ALLTEHPORTS rule which allows TCP traffic on all ports and enabled it on domain and home/public networks.

#15 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,188 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:24 AM

In that case I'm out of ideas. :orange:

When you run the web application the user account used was always the same local account?

___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users