Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spell checker question for Windows 7 Professional

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 harkcomp

harkcomp

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:44 PM

I just started using my the WordPad and Notepad features on my computer and notice that I cannot find a spell checker feature for either one of these.

Am I just not looking in the right location for it? Is it in a toolbar that I may have turned off for some reason? I have clicked on every icon on the pages for these and none are for the spell checker.

Thanks for your help!

Harkcomp 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:01 PM

Spell check is not part of the Windows OS. It's part of other components like Email applications, and or Office applications. If you don't have those you'll need to download a spell check dictionary. Two candidates are listed in the link below.

See this MS Forum thread: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs/need-a-spell-checker-in-windows-7/980f7a58-da3a-40a8-a002-d1d6117963ea

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 harkcomp

harkcomp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:22 PM

Thanks for your help. I clicked on the forum thread and found suggestions to just download a good free alternative to Micorsoft Office. They suggested Open Office, Apache Open Office, and Libre Office. However, I Googled "Best Free Office downloads for 2014 and Kingsoft Office came up as being rated #1. 

What do you think? 

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:57 AM

I've never used Kingsoft. I have used various flavors of Microsoft Office, OpenOffice and currently use LibreOffice. Since all but Microsoft are free. Try them and see what works best for you.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users