Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No sound on office laptop

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#1 saluqi

saluqi

• Members
  • 571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:19 PM

Our Wiindows 8 office laptop is eerily silent - even when displaying videos that definitely have a sound component.  Speakers are at 74% and not muted.  Machine is a Dell Inspiron 15, middle level (i3 processor, 500 GB HDD, 4 GB RAM etc.).

So, how to test the sound functions and find the cause of the problem?

Thanks for enlightenment

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:36 PM

Is it just videos that are quiet?

Have you tried playing music and seeing what happens?

Thanks

It's very hard to imagine all the crazy things that things really are like. 

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

Words and ideas can change the world.

#3 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 571 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:24 PM

There's an extensive library of music files, inherited from a previous user of an earlier laptop in this office.  I tried playing some using VLC media player.  There was no sound although the progress bar moved along normally.

#4 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:44 AM

Okay, in the right hand corner of the screen can you see an image of a speaker? 

Does it show an X or does it have sound bars coming from it?

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

#5 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 571 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:55 AM

It has sound semicircles coming from it.  When you hover the mouse pointer over it, it says "Speaker/Headphones 87%".  It is not muted.  It is using the RealTek audio driver.

#6 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:58 AM

Sorry I missed that in post #1

Okay are there any speakers/headphones connected?

#7 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 571 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:17 PM

No, just the built-in speakers.

#8 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 571 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:53 PM

I should add that this is a recent development.  This machine has Avast! Internet Security installed, which announces viva voce every time the virus definitions have been updated (several times a day).  Those announcements were quite audible and a source of amusement in this office.  Now they have stopped - the definitions are still updated and the popup window still appears, but the announcement is now silent.  That happened several days ago, maybe a week or more but not much longer ago than that.

The only recent software change I can think of offhand is the expiration of a 30 day trial of MBAM Premium, which now reverted to the free version.  I thought we had paid for subscription to the Premium, but apparently not?????

#9 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 571 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:56 PM

Sorry to repost, but there is still no sound on the office laptop (the one at home, with a nearly identical history, has normal sound function).  Is there some diagnostic I can run to find out what's not working?  It would be a HUGE hassle to have to send it in to Dell for repair - I use it all day every day for work, and there is no other available for those purposes (our main office computer is necessarily occupied full time with other jobs).

#10 rg43

rg43

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2014 - 10:17 PM

Saluqi, have you tried using the headphone jack, sometimes that can cause problems?

#11 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 571 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:09 PM

Never tried headphones in the office, don't even have a set.  Can bring some from home and try them Monday.  Actually all I have (apart from a couple of sets of earphones left over from transatlantic flights <G>) is one of those two-earbuds-and-a-mike thingies for language software or Skype - with a green plug (sound card output) and a pink one (sound card mike input). So far as I can see these laptops have only a single sound out plug?  A single black receptacle at left front.

#12 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 571 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:57 PM

OK, now I've tried earphones, and it's still silent.

Checked the driver, and it's the latest one (RealTek High Definition Audio 6.0.1.6788, dated 11/27/2012).

What's next?  I REALLY don't want to have to send this one back to Dell ... for one thing, it has lots of company data on it, and for another I use it daily and would be fairly crippled without it.

Thanks,

#13 rg43

rg43

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:19 PM

No sound thru earphones? When you right click on the speaker icon and select playback, you should see a check mark by speakers. You may have noticed others have sound problems when installing OS. I will post the cleanup procedure of the M$ mess on the "failed to install" thread. It has been said it is important to keep up with updates. This procedure really doesn't take much time on your part just let the machine do its thing. You will not loose anything and your problem may be solved on two parts. It's up to you.

#14 rg43

rg43

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2014 - 02:21 AM

Saluqi, For future reference see link: I noticed in the past people lost sound after an Avast update and one sugested to disable Avast to see if that affects the audio.?

http://en.kioskea.net/faq/12300-avast-internet-security-disable-sound-notifications

#15 rg43

rg43

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2014 - 02:54 AM

Another site that has helped some:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/no-sound-on-windows-8-7

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users