Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Defragging Issues

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Kid_kaos

Kid_kaos

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 31 May 2006 - 09:19 PM

Hello,

I defragment my PC once a month, every month.

And during that time I do a mass download of my updates and such, as well as scan teh disk for errors etc

But this month adn last month my PC hasnt been defragging. At first I thought it was the Windows 'stock; defragger, so I attained a copy of O&O, it worked fine.

But this month when I tried to defrag with O&O it would stop defragging.

And every time I run Microsoft's version of defragger, it locks up and freezes my whole system.

Could someoen help me, or does anyone have any suggestions?

If I am posting in the wrong spot, sorry. And I use Windows XP Home Edition.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 31 May 2006 - 09:48 PM

You are not supposed to do anything at all with the computer while the system is being defragged - not even move the mouse.

A volume must have at least 15% free space for defrag to completely and adequately defragment it. Defrag uses this space as a sorting area for file fragments. If a volume has less than 15% free space, defrag will only partially defragment it. To increase the free space on a volume, delete unneeded files or move them to another disk.

You cannot defragment volumes that the file system has marked as dirty, which indicates possible corruption. You must run chkdsk on a dirty volume before you can defragment it. You can determine if a volume is dirty by using the fsutil dirty query command. For more information about chkdsk and fsutil dirty, see Related Topics in your Windows Help (start/help)

While defrag is analyzing and defragmenting a volume, it displays a blinking cursor. When defrag is finished analyzing and defragmenting the volume, it displays the analysis report, the defragmentation report, or both reports, and then exits to the command prompt.

By default, defrag displays a summary of both the analysis and defragmentation reports if you do not specify the /a or /v parameters.
You can send the reports to a text file by typing >filename.txt, where filename.txt is a file name you specify. For example:
defrag volume /v >filename.txt

To interrupt the defragmentation process, at the command line, press CTRL+C.
Running the defrag command and Disk Defragmenter are mutually exclusive. If you are using Disk Defragmenter to defragment a volume and you run the defrag command at a command-line, the defrag command fails. Conversely, if you run the defrag command and open Disk Defragmenter, the defragmentation options in Disk Defragmenter are unavailable.

Edited by Enthusiast, 31 May 2006 - 09:52 PM.

#3 Kid_kaos

Kid_kaos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2006 - 04:47 AM

Oh... ok...

Thank you.

How can I tell how much free space I have?

#4 ambellina

ambellina

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 01 June 2006 - 05:56 AM

a quick way to tell - open up window's regular defragmenter and that the top, it should tell you the free space you have in gig and then the free space you have in percent.

#5 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 01 June 2006 - 06:01 AM

Another way to tell how much free space you have is:

Start > My Computer > right click on the drive in question > Properties
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#6 Kid_kaos

Kid_kaos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2006 - 06:44 AM

that doesnt show me percents...

why shouldnt i move the mouse during defrag?

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2006 - 06:53 AM

The defrag opertion needs none of the files to change when its operating. If anything changes on the drive, it starts over.

Anything you do with the computer changes files and the defrag starts over.

If you keep doing it - the defrag will never finish.

#8 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2006 - 06:59 AM

Another good practice is to run the defragging application in Safe Mode, which dramatically reduces the number of modules accessing files and thus slowing down the defragment process.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#9 Kid_kaos

Kid_kaos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2006 - 09:17 AM

ooo

coolies thansk for the tips!

much appreciated

0 user(s) are reading this topic