Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What's wrong with my cousin's PC?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 A6Tech

A6Tech

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:30 AM

So, my cousin gave me his PC to examine and fix it if possible. When I started it, it was very slow, it had Windows XP then and it usually froze after a few minutes. It was filled with unnecessary software, adware, three AV software etc... Then I decided to reinstall Windows, but I chose Windows 7. When I first installed it, everything was OK, but after installing a few Windows Updates and software like Microsoft Office, Adobe Reader and graphics driver, the PC stopped booting, it's not up to the graphics driver, the PC can't get past Windows Logo (Starting Windows) screen and can't boot into Safe Mode, or maybe it can but I just couldn't wait more than an hour. So, I thought, why not reinstall Windows again without installing drivers and software later. But this time, when I tried to install Windows, the USB didn't want to boot at all. Then after a few tries it booted but the Windows Installation couldn't pass some point, i don't remember, i think it was the last of those 5 tasks, something like Completing Installation, but it wouldn't move from there, I waited an hour or so. What should I do? What's wrong with the PC, is it the Hard Drive, CPU, RAM, or something else?

Here are the specs:

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz;

RAM: 2GB Kingston DDR2 RAM;

GPU: NVIDIA 8600GTS;

HDD: 2 X Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm SATA

Thanks in advance for your help!

Edited by A6Tech, 22 July 2014 - 11:41 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:52 PM

Did you run the Windows 7 Upgrade advisor on this computer?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 A6Tech

A6Tech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:55 PM

Yes, everything passed.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:30 PM

Have you tried booting with something like Puppy Linux ?  This will usually get you into the system far enough to see what is on the hard drives. If you don't have a copy to hand you can find it here complete with instructions on how to use it. It is self-booting and runs in RAM, doesn't affect your hard drives. I believe it is also easy enough to use from a USB drive if you don't have a CD / DVD drive.

http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview%20and%20Getting%20Started.htm

If there is data you need off the C:\ drive it will also enable you to copy it to an external drive.

Once you have rescued any data that you may want, then I would suggest formatting the C:\ drive - using a caddy and a different computer if necessary - and then starting again with the Win 7 install.

Assuming the install works this time, then it is install the chip set drivers and then all the other drivers followed by all your applications.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 A6Tech

A6Tech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:00 AM

OK, I'll try that, but I doubt it will work. I've already formatted the drive, still the setup freezes. I'll be back with the updates.

#6 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:18 AM

If you're attempting to format the drive as per the option during the reinstallation of windows, it may not work. It is possible that you have a faulty HDD. How old is this computer, and what are the specs?

mYIGVc5.png

#7 A6Tech

A6Tech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:54 AM

The PC is like 6 years old, I'll try using GParted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users