Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Modem / Old Router combo not working

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:18 AM

Hello.

So I went ahead and got a new modem so I wouldn't have to lease from Comcast anymore.

I've got a spiffy new (white) Motorola Surfboard eXtreme  SB 6141.

Plugged it in, made a quick call to Comcast to let them know about my new equipment & the corresponding S/N and MAC ID.

30 minutes later I plug my computer directly into the new modem and I'm back on the Internet without any issues.

However, I do need to plug in my old router, a Belkin F7D2301 v1 that's been laying around for about a month. My wife needs the wi-fi.

I reset it (mostly because I don't remember all my log-in and/or other credentials) connect it to the new modem and then plug every thing into that (Blu-Ray player, my desktop, etc) the way I had done so previously.

However, when I log in to adjust / tweak every thing, I keep getting a message that reads: "Cannot connect to the firmware information server, please double check the WAN connection."

I do the obligatory Google search, looking for something obvious like, "flush your DNS" or "wiggle the green wire" etc but I'm still coming up empty.

Anyone encounter something like this? With a possible resolve, hopefully. I seem to recall (although it's been awhile) that I simply plugged all my machines into this router previously, logged in and tweaked stuff and I was on my way. It worked as little as about one month ago.

I took a screen shot of my Home Page and all the settings but wasn't sure if I should post that here - would that be giving away something too personal, or can I post that safely? It's got all the standard info:

• Language
  • Version Info
  • LAN Settings
  • Internet Settings - which shows my WAN MAC Address & Connection Type: Dynamic but all zeros in the WAN IP & Subnet Mask, Default Gateway & DNS Address
  • Features

So there you go. Appreciate any tips and/or advice if you've got it. Headed off to work but will be back early tomorrow morning (Weds) Eastern Standard Time.

TIA,

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:57 AM

I have not read the manual of the router but check the utilities system settings and turn off check for firmware updates. It's the last setting on this page.

#3 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:25 AM

unplug your cable modem and plug it back in (so it restarts). Have the router plugged into it when you do this.

Edited by AngryRaisin, 23 July 2014 - 01:26 AM.

#4 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:47 AM

Hey there you two. Thanks for checking in.

@JohnC_21 - I checked that setting but it was (I guess as default) turned off.

@AngryRaisin - I had power cycled every thing so many times, I didn't even snap to the fact that I had not tried it one more time *after* I'd got the new modem working...your advice worked like a charm. :thumbup2:

Need to go tweak and lock every thing down on this router and then let my wife know she can head back on out and keep up with Hugh Jackman on Twitter and Instagram.

Much obliged.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users