Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I think my hard disk has failed....

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 l1v3h4ck

l1v3h4ck

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:00 AM

Hi all,

As you probably know I am new :-) and like I said in the title think my hard disk has failed... I was putting Linux over windows 8.1 and then it froze after wiping the disk and now I get this... Image is taking forever so it say No Bootable Device Found :(

Edited by l1v3h4ck, 22 July 2014 - 10:02 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:23 AM

You can download the DOS based Seatools from Seagate and run them against the hard drive.  These diagnostics are excellent and will give you good information about the condition of that drive.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 l1v3h4ck

l1v3h4ck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:34 AM

Thank you for you reply will try now

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,042 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:10 PM

Hi all,

As you probably know I am new :-) and like I said in the title think my hard disk has failed... I was putting Linux over windows 8.1 and then it froze after wiping the disk and now I get this... Image is taking forever so it say No Bootable Device Found :(

Wiping the hdd involves overwriting the entire hdd with software designed for this purpose.  Is this what you meant by wiping the disk?

If this is what you have done then you have a hdd with nothing on it.  You will need to install a operating system.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 dineshramdin

dineshramdin

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:28 AM

You can also run a simple check disk command in DOS.

The command would be chkdsk C:

If your hard disk is completely useless, this command will let you know about it in a jiffy.

#6 l1v3h4ck

l1v3h4ck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:08 AM

Okay and will do ;) thanks all ... I don't mind wiping it all as it only had a few songs on it... :)

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,042 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:04 AM

What is the make and model of this computer?

If this is a OEM computer, like a Dell, HP, Gateway,ect., and you wiped the whole hdd you also wiped out the System Recovery partition.  This means that if the hdd is still usable you will have to use a Windows 8 disk to reinstall the operating system.

As for running chkdsk C:.  If you don't have a Windows operating system on this hdd you can't run the chkdsk command.

What did you run to wipe the hdd?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users