Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Password-protected PDF Samples

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 Psynt555

Psynt555

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:44 AM

Dear Users,

I am in need of a large amount of password protected PDFs (say 1000), so that I may tally the most commonly used passwords.

Does anyone know where I could find such a thing?

Any help would be much appreciated,
Thanks.

Edited by Psynt555, 22 July 2014 - 08:44 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:25 AM

How would this allow you to tally commonly used passwords?

There are plenty of reports online regarding commonly used passwords.

It's very hard to imagine all the crazy things that things really are like. 

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

Words and ideas can change the world.

#3 Psynt555

Psynt555
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:31 AM

How would this allow you to tally commonly used passwords?

There are plenty of reports online regarding commonly used passwords.

Thanks for your reply,

I am attempting to break them with some software I have acquired for research purposes only.

Yes, there are plenty of reports online about commonly used passwords, but not specifically for PDF files.

#4 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:39 AM

Yes, there are plenty of reports online about commonly used passwords, but not specifically for PDF files.

Is there a difference between commonly used password on PDF documents?

Do you think you've found a flaw in a PDF reader?

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

#5 Psynt555

Psynt555
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:43 AM

Is there a difference between commonly used password on PDF documents?

Do you think you've found a flaw in a PDF reader?

I guess there isn't, but that's not the point I'm trying to make. I'm documenting PDFcrack. It's a free open-source Linux based software that cracks PDF passwords using a combination of brute forcing and dictionary attacks.

The reason behind this is that it is for my Masters Project at University.

#6 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:00 AM

I guess there isn't, but that's not the point I'm trying to make. I'm documenting PDFcrack. It's a free open-source Linux based software that cracks PDF passwords using a combination of brute forcing and dictionary attacks.

The reason behind this is that it is for my Masters Project at University.

I know it's a lot of work but can you create PDF's yourself with different passwords?

I mean I doubt people will give you important documents.

#7 Psynt555

Psynt555
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:15 AM

I know it's a lot of work but can you create PDF's yourself with different passwords?

I mean I doubt people will give you important documents.

On the contrary that's easy to do. There are several free command-line tools that allow you to add pwords to PDFs. Add a nice bash script and I could do thousands in a few seconds.

I guess I neglected to say I'm not supposed to know the passwords!.

Yeah you're right, that's why I'm finding it difficult to find a plump repository with "break me" written on the front on Google.

#8 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:19 AM

If it was a tool that is based on a dictionary/brute attack it wouldn't matter if you knew the password. 

For example if you had say 300 PDF's you created yourself ALL with different passwords and they are named PDF1 PDF2 PDF3 etc.. It's unlikely you'd remember all the passwords for all 300. 

#9 Psynt555

Psynt555
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:24 AM

If it was a tool that is based on a dictionary/brute attack it wouldn't matter if you knew the password. 

For example if you had say 300 PDF's you created yourself ALL with different passwords and they are named PDF1 PDF2 PDF3 etc.. It's unlikely you'd remember all the passwords for all 300. 

I suppose I am not going to remember 300 like you say. This has given me some thought. Thanks

#10 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,720 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:08 PM

Bleeping Computer can't help supply you with password protected documents. The reason for that is spelled out in the forum rules:

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences.

Bold above is mine for applicable portion of the rules in this case.

A password is considered a security device. You admit that your intention is to crack that security. Regardless of the purpose of your intentions of cracking passwords the rules are quite clear.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#11 Psynt555

Psynt555
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:35 PM

Bleeping Computer can't help supply you with password protected documents. The reason for that is spelled out in the forum rules:

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences.

Bold above is mine for applicable portion of the rules in this case.

A password is considered a security device. You admit that your intention is to crack that security. Regardless of the purpose of your intentions of cracking passwords the rules are quite clear.

Lock/delete this thread if you don't want anybody replying.

Edited by Psynt555, 22 July 2014 - 12:35 PM.

#12 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,720 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:41 PM

I left it open so you could comment and or add mitigating information if it was available. But I will lock the topic now.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users