Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Notebook slows, CPU usage 100%, shuts down

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 realshin

realshin

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:05 AM

Hi,

Very recently I reformatted my notebook (using factory reset), however now, at what appears to be random times, my CPU usage goes to 100% and stay there. Using resource monitor or process explorer shows no main culprit. That is, there is no specific process or service using a lot of CPU. Actually when this happens all CPU is process in origin, nothing from services. After a while of this, the notebook just shuts down.

I checked some old topics with users having problems like mine and already got Speccy and MiniToolBox reports.

I would really appreciate some guidelines to what to do. Thanks in advance.

Speccy snapshot (just after turning my notebook on): http://speccy.piriform.com/results/qenjFdsBNGr6MJA3XdUidl8

Speccy snapshot (when CPU was at 100%): http://speccy.piriform.com/results/rVtHvqwaFjdLca5lRey3lVK

MiniToolBox results: http://pastebin.com/YqX87TGV

(List last 10 Event Viewer log, List Installed Programs, List Devices (Only Problems), List Users, Partitions and Memory size, List Minidump Files, List Restore Points)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:56 PM

Your CPU is running a 85C, this is dangerously hot.  The maximum temperature for that processor is 90C.

At the very least you need to blow out the side vents with canned air.  If this doesn't cool it down you may need to disassemble the notebook in order do a thorough cleaning job.  If this doesn't cool it down you should remove the heat sink form the CPU, clean the surface of the CPU and heat sink to remove the thermal compound and then reapply it.

I'm guessing you have overclocked this computer? 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 realshin

realshin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:16 PM

Thanks for the reply. That's what I was afraid, I was hoping for a software solution. I'm gonna take it to clean tomorrow at a shop nearby.

And no haha never overclocked this computer. I guess I have a problem with temperatures, it's the second one that this happens. I have a HP pavillion dv6 that reachs 100ºC with any heavy task (720p videos, gaming, etc). But to be fair this sony has 4 years and was never cleaned.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:34 PM

Let us know how it comes through.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users