Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DESPERATE FOR HELP: 'Setup is starting services' loop.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Cotroneo

Cotroneo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:39 PM

First of all, I've scoured the web for the answer to my problem, and the similar 'fixes' on these forums did not work for me at all.

My problem is is that my mom had a virus transfer to my computer through our network. My mom promptly dealt with the virus on her computer before it was too late.

The virus quickly disables all of the services (and putting restrictions on them so I cannot resume them) that are running on your computer. It also disables all anti-virus software. Needless to say, this is a pretty severe virus.

I was able to run Windows in safe-mode until I attempted to do a re installation of windows. When I did that, everything was going fine until the installation froze at 'Completing installation'. I was forced to shut off the computer by holding down the power button. When I restarted the computer, it went on to say that I needed to continue the installation. Okay; fine. Then it got to the 'Setup is starting services' screen, followed by the 'Windows could not complete the installation' or something. Then it restarts my computer automatically, and just repeats itself. I cannot boot my computer in safe mode, or 'normally' without getting the same error message. Even if it did let me boot my computer 'normally', nothing will respond/work because the virus has already done too much damage to my computer. 'System repair' does not work either. 

Things to note:

• I don't know the exact model of my motherboard, but I know that it is ASUS.
  • I have my Windows 7 installation disc.
  • Holding down '0' does not work.
  • I only have my keyboard plugged in - no other peripherals.
  • In the bios, everything will lead back to either an automatic boot, or to the list where it lets me pick system repair, safe mode, etc. 
  • F10/F11/F8 will not work.

My goal right now is to just completely reset my computer, lose everything, and just reinstall windows from scratch.

I'm willing to try anything right now, but I am really, really, hoping for fixes that haven't already been said before

I'm worried that with how many problems are posted on these forums, my problem will go unnoticed. But if anybody at least reads this, I just wanted to say thanks. I know that my problem isn't exactly the simplest to solve.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,790 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:15 AM

Hi :welcome:  to BC

First up please wait a day or so others may reply with less drastic options than mine.

My goal right now is to just completely reset my computer, lose everything, and just reinstall windows from scratch.

Ok. The drastic option.

You could try Gparted Live, Format the HDD and try installing Windows again. Once booted to Gparted live delete the partition and create a new NTFS partition, Then run the Windows installer. This may or may not fix your problem.

While you are in Gparted live you could try and recover any Documents and Photos before formating, Just copy them over to a USB stick, And put it to one side, The Malware Response guys can advise you on cleaning the USB stick latter on if needed, This way at least you have a copy of the files.

WARNING using Gparted to delete a partition will destroy any data on that partition or hard drive. 

GParted enables you to easily manage your disk partitions:

• Create partition tables, (e.g., msdos or gpt)
  • Create, move, copy, resize, check, label, set new UUID, and delete partitions
  • Enable and disable partition flags, (e.g., boot or hidden)
  • Align partitions to mebibyte (MiB) or traditional cylinder boundaries
  • Attempt data rescue from lost partitions

Download

http://youtu.be/bb54TsYI6UA

My mom promptly dealt with the virus on her computer before it was too late.

Are you sure? After you finish with your pc Issues you might consider letting the Malware Guy's on this site look at some of her pc logs.

Edited by NickAu1, 22 July 2014 - 01:26 AM.

#3 Bulgaristan

Bulgaristan

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:24 AM

Nice post, but I think he want to start from a scratch in this case will even more easy.

You just need a bootable USB or Cd with the Windows OS you like to install, just use DEL or F2 to enter Bios and change the booting options depending on that what you will use DVD or USB.

Once the installer been started is pretty easy just format the HDD and remove the every partition existing once you finish that is next next next as you installing a simple software.

When the new installation is done you will drivers for your machine I will amend to use ASUS web site and download the drivers from the vendor.

I hope this will help.

Andy

#4 Cotroneo

Cotroneo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:02 PM

Hi :welcome:  to BC

First up please wait a day or so others may reply with less drastic options than mine.

Ok. The drastic option.

You could try Gparted Live, Format the HDD and try installing Windows again. Once booted to Gparted live delete the partition and create a new NTFS partition, Then run the Windows installer. This may or may not fix your problem.

While you are in Gparted live you could try and recover any Documents and Photos before formating, Just copy them over to a USB stick, And put it to one side, The Malware Response guys can advise you on cleaning the USB stick latter on if needed, This way at least you have a copy of the files.

WARNING using Gparted to delete a partition will destroy any data on that partition or hard drive. 

GParted enables you to easily manage your disk partitions:

• Create partition tables, (e.g., msdos or gpt)
  • Create, move, copy, resize, check, label, set new UUID, and delete partitions
  • Enable and disable partition flags, (e.g., boot or hidden)
  • Align partitions to mebibyte (MiB) or traditional cylinder boundaries
  • Attempt data rescue from lost partitions

Download

http://youtu.be/bb54TsYI6UA

My mom promptly dealt with the virus on her computer before it was too late.

Are you sure? After you finish with your pc Issues you might consider letting the Malware Guy's on this site look at some of her pc logs.

First off, before you say I might want to wait a day, I just need to tell you that your almost immediate response is amazing. I'm definitely going to try your solution. Oh, and my mom was on the phone with her brother that's job is building computers, setting up computers, creating and managing networks (he set up our $20,000 network computer/hub so-to-speak. He basically knows computers inside and out, and since it was out primary business computer, he was on the phone with my mom for 7 hours. My computer however...Isn't exactly a priority. :P

But I really do appreciate your virtually immediate welcoming, and of course an offered solution. I'll be trying this, for sure.

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,790 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:54 PM

You are welcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users