Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1 - Make it operate like Windows 7?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 GoshenBleeping

GoshenBleeping

• Members
  • 264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:37 PM

I am helping a friend to purchase a new laptop. This laptop will come with Windows 8.1. I have found many posts on-line at various web sites where people complain about and are frustrated with Windows 8 - they wish it was more like Windows 7. 

Two questions:

(1) Are these complaints by users fair? What do folks like and dislike about Windows 8.1?

(2) If we decide to configure Windows 8.1 to have some of the features of Windows 7, is there a tutorial or some sort of guide that can guide me in this configuration?

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Echokrush

Echokrush

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:37 PM

Hello.  :)

To your first question, I would say the complaints are fair. Windows 8 is an adjustment, but I believe people have gotten used to it by now and you can customize how it looks. What people dislike about it mainly is the lack of a start menu like you see in Windows 7 and seeing the Windows 8 grid, but that can be customized, too.

To your second question, yes. There's a very good tutorial at CNET as an option. Also, there's Classic Shell, which I use on my own system and I like it a lot.

Hope that helps!  :thumbup2:

#3 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:03 PM

(1) Windows 8.1 is hard to get used to if you are not willing to learn new ways of doing things.  For me it was a breeze because I prepared myself by researching and reading up.

(2) As said by Echokrush, you can install Classic Shell or another "Start Menu" to ease the way.  In my case I don't use any sort of thing like that - I just learned to find my way around.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users