Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Photoshop LE 4.0 won't load

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 astravogel

astravogel

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:30 PM

For several years I have had Photoshop LE 4.0 and Pagemaker on the Dell (2.6gHz, 3 gig RAM Windows XP sp3) working very well. Recently those applications have ignored the call to work. I uninstalled them and attempted to load them again from the same disk they came from in the first place. There is no response to the run command. It has been somewhat like a year since I did serious work with them, in which time there have been one or two updates to the computer (don't ask me what) and since when I have deleted some other applications (again, don't ask).

Has anyone any suggestions? Is it possible that upgrades have destroyed the ability to run PS? Is it possible that shared .dlls deleted by removed applications were necessary to PS? Is it possible I am seriously screwed?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:01 AM

I'm not sure what you are referring to with your reference to the Run command.

Go to Add/Remove Programs...uninstall the troublesome programs there...reinstall from the CDs.  The CDs should be on autopilot when inserted...if not, go to Explorer and browse the contents of each disk, looking for an install/setup exe file or something similar.  Double-clicking that should install the programs.

After that, you might also check the respective websites for any updates put forth my the program developers.

Louis

#3 astravogel

astravogel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:13 PM

Thanks for the response.

I obviously didn't make myself clear with my question; what I meant to indicate was that I had already done all you suggest. I'm afraid I can't use clearer language than 'run', since that is the terminology used by the software and the computer.

I am aware that the software (Photoshop LE 4.0) is seventeen years old and the computer is almost as old, which is why - presumably - software updates won't run on an old computer, and an updated computer won't run old software. So as far as program developers are concerned, I was recommended to this forum by the Photoshop forum, with the observation that I would find great expertise here.

I am trying to discover why the same software has ceased to run (work, operate) on the same computer it's always been on.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:16 PM

Well...that doesn't make any sense.  I've never come across a program that I had previously installed and could not install again on the same O/S.

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#5 astravogel

astravogel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2014 - 05:38 PM

Ok - here's what it was.

On the rare occasion when I reinstalled PS in the past, my antivirus program allowed it to load, without being switched off. Apparently the antivirus grew an extra muscle in some update, and prevented PS loading, even though (having suspected it might be stopping the loading) I  believed I had switched it off. As it was, I hadn't. When I finally disabled the antivirus, I was able to load and run PS.

So, panic over and thanks for listening to the problem.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2014 - 05:52 PM

Thanks for keeping us informed, glad you figured it out...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users