Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HTC SHIFT X9500.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ghibli57

Ghibli57

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 21 July 2014 - 06:14 PM

Hi all,

I own a HTC SHIFT X9500 and I find it fantastic and, overall, complete. Obviously the CPU, Intel A110 800 Mhz has problem with Vista and other programs. I don't want to change this UMPC. I know that it is possible to upgrade the RAM with another 1 GB and the HD up to 120 GB.

Now I need to know if there is a solution to upgrade or replace a new faster CPU  up to 1.20/1.60 Ghz in the mother board.

Please help me asap.

Thank you so much

Edited by Ghibli57, 21 July 2014 - 06:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:30 PM

I don't think so.  There are no faster versions of that processor.  Furthermore, it's a ball grid array processor which is soldered in, so is not designed to be upgradeable.  Upgrading it (assuming an upgrade path exists, which I believe is not the case) would require very very precise soldering.

Sorry.

EDIT As a very very slim possibility, I found a forum where they discuss upgrading MicroPC's and there are people who do this sort of thing.  Perhaps you should ask there - http://www.micropctalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3

Edited by jonuk76, 21 July 2014 - 08:41 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 Ghibli57

Ghibli57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:42 AM

Thank you Jonuk76.

I ask if there is on the market within those available, a new processor faster and compatible with Intel A110.

I think that will be possible. To find someone to fix it in the motherboard is another problem. FIRST, I need to find an alternative to Intel A110.

Do there is a way to contact Intel and Qualcomm directly to ask them?

thank you for all

Best Regards

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,094 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:28 AM

The only faster CPU I can find that uses the BGA 663 package is this 1 Ghz Pentium M (Dothan).  Don't forget that as well as physical fitting of a CPU, it also has to be supported at the firmware/BIOS level.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 Ghibli57

Ghibli57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:34 AM

Thank you so much Jonuk76.

But what means "it also has to be supported at the firmware/BIOS level".

Please could you explain me better?

Thank you,

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,094 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:25 AM

The BIOS is a low level piece of software that will be stored in a chip on the motherboard of an IBM PC compatible computer.  Firmware is just a more generic term for any low level software stored in a chip on a circuit board.  BIOS stands for "Basic Input Output System" and it's basically responsible for identifying, testing and initialising all attached hardware, and finally loading the operating system (which will take over control of most of the computers functions from that point onwards).

If the BIOS is unable to identify and initialise a CPU, it may cause the PC to simply fail to start.  It doesn't have the relevant information to "know" how to initialise an unknown CPU type (what voltage to apply, what speed to run it at, information about cache etc.)

As this micro PC was never offered in anything other than the processor you have there, it's doubtful to me that the manufacturers would have programmed the BIOS with information about how to deal with other processors.  Enthusiast communities do sometimes create modified BIOS and firmware for various devices, to allow it to do things the manufacturer never intended (maybe like support a non-standard CPU).  This relies on there being an enthusiast community with enough like minded people with the required skills to create a modified BIOS.  Any installation of a modified firmware has potential to "brick" a device, and of course is not covered by any manufacturer warranty...

PS - Vista can be a struggle to run well on a full power desktop system let alone a micro PC!  It's not a very efficient operating system...  Perhaps you could look into running a light version of Linux instead.  I used to have an old Asus EeePC which was an early micro PC, not a very powerful one.  It used to run the LXDE version of 32-bit Linux Mint fine though with 512mb memory and a 8Gb SSD..

Edited by jonuk76, 22 July 2014 - 10:31 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users