Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The 25 Worst Tech Products Of All Time

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 31 May 2006 - 06:58 PM

These products are so bad, they belong in the high-tech hall of shame.Dan Tynan Friday, May 26, 2006 At PC World, we spend most of our time talking about products that make your life easier or your work more productive. But it's the lousy ones that linger in our memory long after their shrinkwrap has shriveled, and that make tech editors cry out, "What have I done to deserve this?" Still, even the worst products deserve recognition (or deprecation). So as we put together our list of World Class winners for 2006, we decided also to spotlight the 25 worst tech products that have been released since PC World began publishing nearly a quarter-century ago. * The #1 worst tech product is no shocker. ~ S

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 31 May 2006 - 08:14 PM

I like this one:

16. Comet Systems Comet Cursor (1997)

Thank the Comet Cursor for introducing spyware to an ungrateful nation.

Thank you, Comet Cursor. :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 31 May 2006 - 09:28 PM

Yeah, hi. I'd like to give a shout-out to Real Player and Internet Explorer 6: I hate you both. Thanks for all the computer crashes and the error messages. :thumbsup: :flowers:

Nice read, Scarlett...even though it brought back some unpleasant memories.... :trumpet:

#4 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2006 - 10:51 PM

1. America Online (1989-2006)

Wouldnt you know it...Number 1 lol...
Im glad I never had to use aol...never

Posted Image

And internet explorer. Its like one of the first browsers? but it is not secure. I used to have tons of spyware from just visiting sites and now with firefox nothing but tracking cookies...

Oh and good old real player...
I removed it from my pc after I figured out it never worked and I never used it. They seem to be doing better now days as there player does work and they have a music/radio thing going well with it. I still dont use it though.

#5 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,717 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2006 - 01:09 PM

Everytime I try to loaw a relatively recent version of RealPlayer, it loads so much other garbage that it get removed quickly. Then I have to go in and clean up after it.

For those times when I do need RealPlayer, I have an older, less intrusive, version loaded (ver7).
Derfram
~~~~~~

#6 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2006 - 01:16 PM

Thanks for the info! I've never tried AOL & ME, but some of my friends have used them and they agree - they both smell worse than a universe sewage system. IE 6 & Real Player have, unfortunately, been used my me. IE 6 is pretty much mandatory for DLing Microsoft stuff and sadly, some movies/videos mandate Real Player. All in all, I'd have to say this article is pretty interesting. :thumbsup:
Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

#7 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2006 - 01:47 PM

Maybe those of you who have tried Real Alternative can let us know how
good or safe it is as an alternative to Real Player.

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Real_Alternative.htm

I have heard good things about it. But have yet to try it out.
I would do without, before installing Real Player. lol

Edited by Scarlett, 01 June 2006 - 01:47 PM.

Posted Image

#8 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2006 - 02:57 PM

AOL is definately MY personal pic for the worst technology in the past 20 or so years..... even though i've only been alive for 19 years.... lol.

Real player was also a horrible thing. You could never just watch a movie on it.... you had to download a bunch of crap, go through ads and licensing junk, etc....

I'm surprised they didn't have anything like Kazaa, limewire, or eMule on there... They had so many malware instances and destroyed security....

#9 Nat Sci

Nat Sci

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2006 - 09:47 AM

Lol, of course AOL No.1. Everytime they send you a cd they say its 5x faster and ends up being 2x slower.
Legend has it that... If you put an AOL disc the opposite way and play it you can hear devilish music... Even worse if you put it the right way... IT INSTALLS AOL!
Click here 3 times for $100,000<--- I mean .00001 dollars.

#10 seafox14

seafox14

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2006 - 12:48 PM

What can one say except that there is a reason Aol has been called both Ameica Off Line and A O Hell!
Windows Me was a fiasco from the word go. Trust me. As a Gateway Tech support agent, (Iknow, laugh it up :thumbsup: ) the automated repair functions of ME leave format and reload as your only repair option if it crashes. I keep thinking about the pictures of Bill Gates on slashdot.net every time Microsoft is mentioned. They altered him into a STNG borg. :flowers:

Seafox14
5 So put to death the sinful, earthly things lurking within you. Have nothing to do with sexual immorality, impurity, lust, and evil desires. Donít be greedy, for a greedy person is an idolater, worshiping the things of this world

#11 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2006 - 07:23 PM

I keep thinking about the pictures of Bill Gates on slashdot.net every time Microsoft is mentioned. They altered him into a STNG borg. :thumbsup:

Seafox14

That I would LOVE to see!!! :flowers:

#12 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2006 - 10:44 PM

Not from slashdot but...
http://www.funfry.com/data/503/bill_gates_borg_funfry.jpg
http://www.funfry.com/data/503/bill_gates_borg_2_funfry.jpg

and don't get me started about that stinking pile of crapware
"Real Player" be thy name
Comet Cursor , oh yeah ,there was lots of cursing about that comet.
I still have a zip drive(my first one got the "Click of Death")
and the most insidious of them all ,the Sony "Rootkit" CD's

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#13 KaBoom

KaBoom

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2006 - 07:47 AM

The one they left out was Altec Lansing's Voice-Pod, made available shortly before the release of XP. This little device allowed you to produce spoken word memos and had a play back function through it's diminutive speakers. Problem was that the sound was terrible and as soon as XP was released they dropped all support for it and refused to update it's drivers. And so, yet another peripheral became land-fill fodder... :thumbsup:

Edited by KaBoom, 01 July 2006 - 07:47 AM.

#14 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2006 - 02:53 PM

Listen to this. It's unbelievable.

Cancelling AOL

#15 Gaming Guru

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2006 - 04:53 PM

I read this in the actual PC World magazine a couple weeks back. Interesting information though. I didn't know it was posted on their website. :thumbsup:
CPU: Intel Pentium Dual-Core 1.6GHz Processor / 1GB RAM / Toshiba Satellite A100-VA3 / Windows Vista Home Premium

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users