Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it really as easy as replacing my harddrive?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Sploog321

Sploog321

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:30 PM

I have an hp dm3-1130us laptop.

I need to replace my harddrive since my current one will not work.

http://www.laptoppartsexpert.com/i-17261891-hp-pavilion-dm3-1130us-wa563ua-hard-drive-replacement-9-5mm-500gb-sata-5400rpm.html?gclid=COHQy6Gq178CFVQV7AodqW4A7Q

My laptop would suffer from live frezzing, I could still move around my mouse but all windows programs I could not run or close, and my laptop will not start which I can only theorize as being a harddrive problem.

I may buy a hardrive, but this problem will be fixed just by replacing the hardrive? I don't know much about computers. I just replace the harddrive and my laptop will be good to go? The laptop has no CD reader. I don't need to insert any OS dics, my laptop came with none, or is the OS already on the hardrive?

Sorry if my wording is hard to understand.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:11 PM

It is fairly easy!  One of the best things to do is to go on Youtube plug your model information in, there are many videos on all sorts of lap top maintenance.  

Edit just notice you do not have a CD!  You will need to buy or borrow one to load the OS, you will also need to down load the drivers for the laptop.  There is a fair bit of work on your end, it would be good for you to read some of the blogs for your laptop.

Edited by OldPhil, 21 July 2014 - 05:15 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 21 July 2014 - 06:24 PM

Replacing a hard drive in almost all laptops is a fairly simple operation, BUT !

ALL replacement hard drives that I know of come blank - you need to install the operating system, all the system and hardware drivers and re-install all your applications and, as OldPhil has pointed out, this is a lot of work especially if you don't know a great deal about computers. But definitely, just plugging in a new hard drive, your computer will NOT be 'good to go'. And since you do not have a CD / DVD drive this will be all the harder for you.

Do you have a copy of the manual for this computer ?  If you don't, you can get it from HP here, click on the link 'User guides' :-

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?cc=us&lc=en&product=4121109

Your laptop should have a recovery partition on it, and the manual should tell you how to use the recovery partition to do a factory restore. This will restore your computer to the condition it was in when it left the factory. You will still have to re-install all your applications and you will lose any data of your own that is on the computer and not backed up. I appreciate you may have to use another computer to download the manual.

If you do have important data on this computer - work, photos, music etc. - that isn't already backed up, post back and we will explain various ways of saving this.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users