Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading Processor on Samsung Laptop. HELP

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hdahllers

hdahllers

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:41 PM

I'm trying to become a bit more savvy with my laptop and I like this one plenty well enough, so instead of purchasing a new machine just for more power, I've been contemplating upgrading the processor. First of all, my laptop is a Samsung NP300E5A-A02UB netbook with a 2nd generation i3-2350M processor @ 2.3GHz with a G2 Socket. So far I know the motherboard is a Samsung SCALA3-15 and has a HM65 chipset. I've asked around and only get mixed responses as to whether I can upgrade my processor. I know Samsung has a variation of this model that runs an i5-2450M processor, so if upgrading can be done then I'm sure this one would work. However, I'm looking for a bigger boost, and now I'm curious as to whether or not I can get either an i7-2620M or i7-2640M in there. 

Bottom line: Can this laptop's processor be upgraded? If so, will I need to mod the BIOS? And what would you recommend upgrading to?

Thanks

Edited by hamluis, 23 July 2014 - 11:50 AM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to System Building/Upgrading - Hamluis,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,409 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:32 AM

In general laptops have limited upgrade options, normally limited to RAM and hard drive.  I highly recommend against attempting a CPU upgrade on a laptop.

Additionally working on the internals of a laptop are not for the faint of heart.  Getting to the CPU will generally require removal of the cover at a minimum and possibly a complete tear down.  This video will show you what it takes to get to the CPU on your machine.  Your time, effort, and money would better be put towards a new machine.

#3 ubuzz

ubuzz

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:58 AM

Hello!

Even if the upgrade from your current i3-2350M to the i5-2450M were possible I would not spend the time or money.  The benefit of that particular cpu upgrade would be minimal.  Stepping up to an i7 may not be possible for other reasons including hardware compatibility and increased heat that the stock fan would not be able to handle.

I would enjoy the laptop as it is or buy new if you need something faster.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:47 AM

A processor swap would yield a lot less than you can imagine, you already have 6G ram another non starter!  If you want a pretty significant boost install an SSD HD, I have almost the identical CPU & ram in my laptop.  I recently up graded to a Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256 gig, I am very pleased with the result.  Swapping the HD after I cloned my system was a snap about a 15 minute job, the cloning took about an hour.  If you noticed in the video posted by Kilroy the hard derive access is very simple, well worth looking into.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users