Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issues with WiFi as intel r wifi link 5100 is not installed after d systm restor

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 viralbhuptani

viralbhuptani

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:15 PM

Hi Guys,

This is Viral. I am using an Acer laptop model ASPIRE 4736 since the last five years. There haven't been much issues with it. except for the battery and thats it. But recently, since last two weeks I noticed that my Wifi would stop blinking after sometime after I start my laptop and then it wouldn't work even when I try to turn on and turn off the Wifi switch(it doesn't respond anything). I tried searching the net for this issue using my office laptop and found that a system restore would help to solve this issue. Since I remembered that I updated Java as well as there was this ad software which got installed and I had unistalled it. So I did a system restore and then when I opened the device manager, I am not able to see intel r wifi link 5100 driver on it. I tried restarting my laptop and did everything and couldn't find the driver(it was there before the system restore). But later on the same day, the driver got installed automatically and the WiFi started working but only for a couple of minutes after the restart and then it stopped. So  I did the system restore again to the date when everything was working perfectly and when i did that, again my intel r wifi link 5100 driver is not shown on the device manager(network adapters). I don't if it would automatically get installed or not but its sure that the WiFi issue still be there. So can you please help with this issue?
1. Help me get the intel r wifi link 5100 driver back

2. Help me the solve the WiFi issue as the WiFi light goes Off.

It would be grateful if any of you guys could help me out this issue since I am applying for further studies and require the internet connection in the night for filling the forms. I have the office laptop but all my documents and my software are there in my personal laptop. Please help me sir.

My machine info 

Processor - Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T6600 @ 2.20GHZ
Memory - 3 GB

System type - 32 bit operating system

Windows Vista Home Premium

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:49 PM

Select Model, Select Operating System, Download your Drivers

There is also a hardware detection tool to assist you.

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

If the software is listed in add/remove programs; Uninstall it.

If the device is listed in device manager; uninstall it.

#3 viralbhuptani

viralbhuptani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:08 PM

Hello sir,

I downloaded 

Wireless LAN Intel Wireless LAN Driver v12.1.0.14 5.5 MB 2009/04/14

file which came in the Winzip form and i extracted them. What is the next thing that I have to do ? There's a .sys fle

in it. How should I use it.

Regards,

Viral

#4 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2014 - 06:10 PM

Inside the Vista32folder are 8 items the file dpinst32.exe is the installation program for the package.

Right click and choose Run as administrator.

#5 viralbhuptani

viralbhuptani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:50 PM

Hi old rocker, I did download the dpinst32.exe file and installed it by running it as admin.
But I still can't find the intel r wifi link 5100 driver when I go to device manager and check 

on network adapters. I can only see Atheros ethernet controller. Do I need to check any

settings

#6 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:35 PM

Open Control Panel > Open System

On the left side Open Advanced system settings

Click on Enviornmental Variables

Click the New... button under the System variables

In the Variable name: type this... DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES

In the Variable value: type the number... 1

click OK and reboot the system.

Open Control Panel > Open System

On the left side Open Device Manager

On the toolbar at the top of the window click View

On the dropdown click Show hidden devices

Expand the Network adapters section and check for the Intel entry

If it is there remove it. Also if there is an unknown device or any with a ? mark or ! mark.

Check your programs for any reference and make sure the switch is on (if you have one) for the wireless control.

You may also want to check the system setup (CMOS) for any reference to your Wi Fi connection and make sure it is enabled.

To activate the BIOS utility, press <F2> during the POST

#7 viralbhuptani

viralbhuptani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:11 PM

Hey old rocker,

!!! YOU ARE A REAL ROCKSTAR !!!!! LOVE YOU MAN !!!!!

I followed the above steps and it worked for me and now I would be able to fill my applications for the universities easily. You saved my life

I dint get the last two steps 
"You may also want to check the system setup (CMOS) for any reference to your Wi Fi connection and make sure it is enabled. To activate the BIOS utility, press <F2> during the POST" 

But currently it is working fine. Do i need to change any settings so that I don't face the WiFi issue anymore. I would appreciate if you could please let me know why did my WiFi stopped working suddenly and how did my intel WiFi driver disappeared after the system restore

Also, my system rating is 3.1 Windows experience index...do i need to make some changes for my laptop since its more than 5 years old and I don't want to face any WiFi issues or system related issues anymore. My father and me use the same laptop

Last but not the least, you are my ultimate saviour.

Warm Regards,

Viral 

#8 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:46 PM

It is possible that an update was released through the Windows Automatic Updates which overwrote the existing driver. When you performed the system restore the driver reverted back and confusion began. It's only a theory. As far as the system rating it is based on the lowest score obtained from the devices checked. Usually video is the lowest performing device tested. Sometimes updating drivers can increase your score but 3.1 is not a bad score for a general use laptop. Glad to hear issues are resolved. Create a restore point and name it Wi Fi working or something like that for future problems if they arise.

P.S. I am not a rockstar but I am old and still rock!

#9 viralbhuptani

viralbhuptani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:59 PM

Hi Old rocker,

I am now facing this issue where the WiFi switch won't turn ON after switching on the laptop. So i try to manually turn it ON and it doesn't work. Sometimes it works after switching on my laptop but most of the times it doesn't work. I don't know why it is not working and I am able to connect to the internet via LAN. Could you please help. Is there any issue with my laptop and do you want any logs from my side. Please tell me the steps and  I would be willing to send you them

#10 viralbhuptani

viralbhuptani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2014 - 02:27 PM

And also the intel r wifi link 5100 driver disappeared again when I check the network adapters

#11 viralbhuptani

viralbhuptani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:48 PM

Hey rocker, 

u there. Can you please help me the above problem.Please          

#12 viralbhuptani

viralbhuptani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:56 PM

Hey Rocker, 

My intel r wifi link 5100 driver goes missing everytime I restart my laptop. Once I install it again using your steps, it works fine for a while and then the light again goes off

#13 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:29 PM

I have to run out for appx. 1/2hr. How do you feel about opening up your laptop and reseating the WiFi Card?

#14 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:40 PM

Hopefully you have a small Phillips screwdriver available. I have a diagram of your laptop, so why don't we try disconnecting the ac power and pull the battery.

Orientate the laptop With the battery compartment at the top (away from you). At the bottom left there is a small compartment held in place by one Phillips screw.

Remove the screw and gently remove the cover. Touch something metal to discharge any static electricity before going any further.

If at all possible try not to remove the wires from the card, just check to make sure they are firmly connected.

There are 2 small Phillips head screws holding the card in place. Carefully remove them and the card should pop up allowing you to remove it from the socket. (There should be enough slack to perform the step without removing the antenna leads).

Reseat the card in the socket, replace the 2 screws holding the card in place, replace the cover and screw.

Replace the battery, connect the ac power and let's see where we're at.

#15 viralbhuptani

viralbhuptani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2014 - 04:24 AM

Hey old rocker,

I followed the process as mentioned by you and it WORKED....sorry for the late reply....i just tried today....i just want that it is currently working properly and are there any precautions that i should take now so that this issue doesn't happen again. Please let me know...one last issue i have is that now my touch pad move properly but  doesn't respond on double click...is there a way to solve this... i tried checking the settings but they are normal..what may be the issue...is my laptop dying...

Regards,

Viral

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users