Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kemperhills

kemperhills

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:36 PM

I am having trouble with an HP Compaq.  The following is the information off of the computer tag.

HP Compaq dx7200 slim tower

HP Compaq dx7200 ST Base Unit

hp s/n

p/n PU818AV

Here is the problem.  When the computer have been inactive for a while it boots and works fine for several hours.  Then it starts acting up.  Sometimes it will freeze.  Sometime a blue screen with and error code appears. 

When this happens and the computer is turned of  and rebooted the computer seems to boot but the monitor never shows a welcome screen or boot screen and stays black.  The power button on the monitor remains red, it will turn blue when the computer boots. The computer light and the cpu light will be green.

Then if this is tried a time or two when the power button on the computer is pressed  the computer light will start blinking red and beeping will be heard.  Then when the power button is pressed the red blinking light will go out and when the power button is released it will start blinking again with the beeping.  To stop this the power button has to be pressed, held a second or two, and released several times before the computer will stay off.

Computer is running W7, SP1

I have checked the computers internal battery, good.  I have replaced the HD and freshly insalled the OS.  I even bought a new monitor but not of this has corrected the problem.

Any suggestions as to what could be wrong with the computer.  Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:50 PM

Those beeps are codes you can look up.  You can probably find out from HP, but if you can find out who made your BIOS, you can find out that way too.  The root cause of your problem could be heat, so I'd download SpeedFan and see what the core temps are.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:45 AM

You may have a power supply problem but lets run a few other tests first...

It was very common for those computers to have bad capacitors that can cause your symptoms, unplug the pc from the wall and open the computer up and look for blown or bulging capacitors examples here: https://www.google.com/search?q=HP+Compaq+dx7200+slim+tower&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=g3bOU_GFNoaoyAT43ILICw&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg&biw=667&bih=478#q=blown+bulging+capacitors+motherboard&tbm=isch

While you have the case open, dust the computer out and then re-seat your ram. This is a simple process but here is a video for demonstration:

If you find any blown or bulging capacitors, my recommendation would be to save for a new computer. If the caps look ok, you may have a bad stick of ram.

Since you have had blue screens, please run who crashed so we can try to figure out what hardware or software is causing them.

We need to analyze your operating system's crash dump files to further diagnose what could possibly be crashing your computer system.

Please download Who Crashed? and save it to your desktop.

Double click whocrashedSetup.exe and choose Run

On Windows Vista, 7, 8 and 8.1 machines, when User Account Control asks if you wish to install this program, say YES to install the program on your computer.

Program can also be installed by right click and choosing Run As An Administrator.

On the next screen choose Next and accept the agreement.

Install the program in it's default location C:\Program Files\WhoCrashed (If your primary drive is different from C:, choose your primary drive.)

Choose Next and allow program to create a Start Menu Folder called WhoCrashed and click Next.

Allow program to create desktop icon and click Next.

Now Click Install.

Once the program is installed on your computer system, look for the WhoCrashed icon.png desktop Icon and double click it.

Accept the User Account Control request and the program will open on your screen and should look something like this.

whocrashed.png

Next, Click the Analyze button. analyze.png

An Information Window should appear on your screen prompting you to scroll down your screen.

If a report was generated we would like to have a look at this report.

To do this, click File analyze.png and then choose Export.

Save as WhoCrashedOutput.htm to your desktop.

Open WhoCrashedOutput.htm and copy and paste all of the contents from System Information (local) and Crash Dump Analysis and the Conclusion into your next reply.

Edited by zingo156, 22 July 2014 - 09:48 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users