Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A colleague of mine got an email that was never addressed to him

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DMBFAN

DMBFAN

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:29 PM

Hi Everyone,

This is my first official post, so please go easy  :wink:  

:step1: Jean whom works in my company, sends an email meant for Company A, but in addition to Company A getting it, Company B gets it as well. This has happened only a few times that I know of. We looked at her sent folder and only Company A was the addressee. How did some other random company get an email that was only addressed to Company A? Neither company has a similar or even close to similar name by the way. No bcc'd or cc'd apply as well.

:step2: This example is separate from the first example, but just as puzzling. Jean will send an email to some random client of ours and somehow, Jim, who also works in our office, will get bcc'd on the email. Jean didn't add Jim to the email nor would she ever need to include Jim in on this email. How can this happen? Again, we checked the email chain and Jim shows up nowhere!

Two problems with the same email account. These issues don't happen all the time, but when they do it's just with Jean's email account, as well as Jim is the only one getting the random emails from Jean.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,161 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:16 PM

Are you using an Exchange server at work? Is the email client she is using Outlook? If she has access to Outlook Web Access (OWA) or some other web-based interface for her work email, does the problem still occur when she sends email from there?

Check for email client add-ons that may be set to cc or bcc certain emails. It may also be a setting in the email client -- in Outlook, look under Tools>Rules.

The other possibility is that it may be malware on that PC.

#3 DMBFAN

DMBFAN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:19 PM

sflatechguy, Thanks for your response. I will look into this and reply back.

Edit: We do use Exchange and Outlook. Thanks again

Edited by DMBFAN, 21 July 2014 - 03:22 PM.

#4 DMBFAN

DMBFAN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:49 AM

Update: The user has been out of the office since I posted this (of coarse), but I should have some time this afternoon to look at her computer... Or so I'm told.

Scott

#5 Arthur.Smith

Arthur.Smith

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:59 PM

Well you should see if some groups aren't selected instead of single contacts while sending, and the group can be named like for eg Marvin. Now the email was sent to Marvin that means everyone in Marvin got the mail, sometimes when you select a group and don't cancel it, the next mail you send, if the receiver is in the group, the whole group is automatically selected in result. So try seeing if there are some groups made. Also it is a quote from 'House Md' ; Dr.House signature words are 'Everybody Lies' . So the sent emails can be deleted, so like if you were supposed to be the only one to receive the email, maybe the sender send it to two person instead of one, and then deleted the records of the other one from send logs. So just install a keylogger in the computer, it will record all the data and you can confirm.

For precautionary measures just re install the damn software you are using for sending emails, this would reset the settings and delete the  group records if there were any, an update would also fix any bugs if there were any. That's all I got..

#6 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,161 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:09 PM

@Arthur Smith makes a good point -- check all the distribution groups in her personal contacts list, both for the name of the group and who is in them, in addition to checking for any rules.

#7 DMBFAN

DMBFAN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:35 AM

I learned a lot from this experience. Thanks again everyone for your help!!

#1 turned out to be that it was a group she had setup and didn't remove the company in question.

For #2, it was her not paying attention to whom she selected as her Bcc. Though she swears that she doesn't use bcc's, but the evidence doesn't lie.

Thanks again!

Scott

#8 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,161 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:50 AM

Ah yes. Operator error.  :mellow: Glad that's sorted out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users