Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC its not turn on after deleting partition

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 legendarysnake

legendarysnake

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:12 PM

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum. I arrived here after searching for informatics largest forum on google.

I hope you can help me 

When connecting my pc, I can choose if I will use Windows XP or 7 on the boot screen. 
As I no longer use XP decided to delete. I tried to format the partition inside Windows 7 and it did not work. 
I used the xp installation cd and managed to delete the partition. 
But now, this message when connecting the pc, this message appears:

post-1-1224623227.jpg

I thought that if I delete the XP partition, the PC would automatically boot into Windows 7.  :wacko:
What do I do? Has some way to re-boot Windows 7 on my machine? I had hundreds of important files there.

Edited by legendarysnake, 21 July 2014 - 01:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,919 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:47 PM

Hello and Welcome,

Firstly, your files on the Windows 7 partition are safe. If you have a Windows 7 install disk or System Repair Disk, do a startup repair. It may have to run three times before the problem is fixed. If you do not have a System Repair disk, you can create it on any Windows 7 computer.

#3 legendarysnake

legendarysnake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:20 PM

Thanks for answering! 
I've never done a startup repair. If I do this, can i lose my files? Or else, corrupting data? 

Is there any way to access the files? Through a boot cd with a preinstalled operating system or something?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,919 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:45 PM

Startup repair will not corrupt your files. It will rebuild your boot manager. You can access your files using a small linux distro like Puppy Linux. Here is a good guide on it's use. If you decide to use Puppy to get immediate access to your files, do not do a disk check as shown in the guide.

How to create a System Repair Disk

How to start the Windows 7 Recovery Environment

Edit: By using Puppy, it will show if your Windows 7 partition still exists. Hopefully it was not deleted when you deleted the XP partition. You deleted the XP partition using the command prompt and diskpart?

Edited by JohnC_21, 21 July 2014 - 02:56 PM.

#5 legendarysnake

legendarysnake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:18 AM

Hello and thanks for replying! I tried to repair the operating system, and guess what? 
Windows 7 was not even listed as an operating system. Then I started to sweat. 
I recorded a CD with Puppy Linux and I was relieved. My files are still there. I just could not copy to an external hd because of a stupid error message. 
Then I burned a ubuntu cd. And confirmed what was already obvious to me. The OS has detected that there was no operating system installed on my pc. I have no experience with ubuntu. And I have no idea where are my files, and I do not know how to copy them to the external hd.

Hope you can help me. At least now I am relieved. I thought I had lost my files forever.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,919 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:36 AM

Please explain the message you received when you tried to copy the files with Puppy?

Edit: Was Windows 7 installed after XP was installed?

Edited by JohnC_21, 22 July 2014 - 07:40 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users