Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Dell Laptop- "Safely remove harware and eject media" issue

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 WatDabney

WatDabney

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:02 PM

I'm not sure if this is a major issue, but I've never seen a system that has done this and the computer is only a couple of months old.  Not sure if worth the time/effort to deal with Dell tech support so I'll try here first to see if anyone else has seen this or experienced similar issues.

No matter what device I plug in to the USB port, i.e. thumb drive, external HDD, MP3 player, etc., when I go to remove the device and use the icon on the system tray to "safely remove" the device, I click on the icon and nothing happens.  No matter if I use left or right click, nothing happens.  I'm used to it opening a context menu asking which device I would like to safely remove but this does nothing.  However, when I shut down/restart, for a split second, on the bottom right of the screen, that context menu flashes and then disappears, like it was running in the background but couldn't work up the nerve to display it for some reason.  (shy maybe?) 

So far I have had no issues of lost or corrupt files as a result of not being able to "safely remove" the devices, but I'm just waiting for the day that it does.  Anyone else have issues with this or know anything about why it might be happening?  If not, I'll suck it up and call Dell tech support and see what country I can talk to. 

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:36 PM

I have a work-around, but not a fix. It will allow you to safely remove a USB item by;

Go into Windows Explorer and find the device to be removed

R-click the device, and on the menu select "eject"

You should get the "safe to remove" prompt

#3 WatDabney

WatDabney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:47 PM

Doh!  I don't know why I didn't think of that, but thanks for reminding me!

It really isn't that big of a deal but I figure for a brand new laptop, I'm hoping this isn't a start of other problems to come and wanted to know if there was anything I should be aware of before I try to work with Dell Tech Support.  Since it is under warrantee, I figure I should get it working properly now before it starts causing more problems.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:32 PM

I've heard it all now - 'Shy computers' !

This is unusual behaviour and, since the computer is under warranty, I would definitely take it up with Dell or your supplier if it wasn't Dell. You paid over good money for this computer, you are entitled to one that works properly. The fix may be trivial or not but what is it going to cost you - 15 to 30 minutes on the phone ?

I like Elfbane's work around, I must remember that one, but you shouldn't need to use work arounds.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users