Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DataNumen Outlook Repair

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Justa

Justa

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:35 AM

2 days ago Outlook 2013 would not open.  I thought I had a currupt data (.pst) file.  Microsoft's Scandisk would not fix the problem.  Late at night I ran across DatumNumen Outlook Repair that offered a free download trail.  So I let it run while I slept.  Outlook 2013 now opens (I believe I had a corrput data file).  But it has removed the data from most of my e-mails.  They now read "This message is processed by a demo version of DataNumen Outlook Repair so the actual contents are replaced with this information"

To get the full version order the full version $200.00!!!!!! through URL...........I removed this URL.

So as far as I can tell the software says it has fixed the files (both photo and test) and just gives the above statement with no proof whatsoever that the files are now fixed.  Can't verify any text or photos are really fixed or are they just sending E-Mail with the correct subject line.

I would feel foolish to send them any money and potentually they may have destroyed my data and replaced it with the above statement.  I could find no phone numbers and the link to their help forum no longer exists.

Any comments on this company appreciated.  I'm worried about any personal of mine that may have been stolen.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:54 AM

Office has its own repair function, so in the future you should use that.  If you don't have a backup for your email, you may be out of luck.  I agree this sounds like a very sleazy way for this company to do business.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 Justa

Justa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:13 PM

Well I guess sooner or later we all fall down and go boom!  I've been using Outlook since the early 80's and never had a problem with a data file that I couldn't repair myself.  Maybe I am just getting old but switching to Windows 8.1, Outlook 2013 and the latest and great Acronis all at the same time was a dumb move on my behalf.  But in the past I frequently made multiple software changes at the same time and only had minor problems.

I could be wrong here but I replace the entire glutenous problem on DataNumen.  The file they showed me were nothing  buy the subject of the e-mail with absolutely no original contents of the file I made.  This reminds me of 58+ when I learned that when a file was deleted only the first digit was actually gone.  It was usually just an easy feat to recover files unless they were totally corrupted or it had been so long since the were deleted the system was forced to write over the old files data with data from the new file.

If I'm wrong and please corrects me otherwise I believe DataNumen is a huge $200 rip off.  Show us some real file content beyond the subject line, so far I have yet to see any of my original content.

Any positives on DataNumen out there?  So far it has taken all files (some I am certain could have been recovered beforehand totally unrecoverable without giving them $200. Have it actually worked for anyone?

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:35 PM

As much as I loathe c|net/download.com they actually have a favorable review. They also state that the demo only shows a fixed .pst file.

http://download.cnet.com/DataNumen-Outlook-Repair/3000-2369_4-10463740.html

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 Justa

Justa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:26 AM

Animal,

As always you have invaluable information that will really help.  I also try to avoid CNET downloads whenever possible.  They are masters of tricking users into downloading dangerous junk.

Their statement that they only let you see simulated file content data so you really have no idea if it works at all.  It proves absolutely.

I'm definitely going to pass on DataNumen & hope to God they haven't left me with any malware.

Really stupid move on my behalf.  I should also never ever download any software in the middle of the night when my brain is running at 10 %

Thanks for the help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users