Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Password

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JazzMahn

JazzMahn

• Members
  • 401 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:48 AM

I helped a friend set up a new HP Windows 8.1 laptop.  Set up his Microsoft account and password.  All went well and I thought we were finished.

He called me Sunday and told me he could not log in using his password.  I knew his password so I went to outlook.com and signed in with his outlook email address and "password".  I went right into his outlook account so I know that his password is correct. 

He still can't use the password to get into his computer.  The only thought I have is for me to change his password on his outlook account and then have him use his new password.  Is this the right approach? 

Thanks in advance for all your assistance.

Steve Bell

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:09 AM

To be clear....you think you used the same password for login to your friends computer and his email account....correct?

But while you can use the password to log in to the email account, his computer is not recognizing that password to log into

Windows. Is that it?

If that is true...then changing the email password still won't allow him to log onto the computer/ Windows.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,501 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:32 AM

The laptop probably lost it's wifi connection. If it can't login to Microsoft then you cannot login to the laptop. To my understanding if this happens it's suppose to revert back to local password. Why it isn't doing that is anyones guess. Maybe a local password was never set so there is no password to revert to so it just loops back to Microsoft's login. Myself I prefer to use local.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users