Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Split from "News" topic

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 JoanneMT

JoanneMT

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:14 AM

Split from: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/539728/were-you-1-of-the-698003/ ~Budapest

Someone mentioned "start page" as a safer search tool. I implemented it and unfortunately it broke my network settings. I'm sure it was unintentional, I am getting errors while trying to logon that cannot find the server on the other side of my high-speed modem. Since I can't get online with the computer, i'm having a hard time updating drivers. Any ideas? Please PM me. Thanks

Edited by Budapest, 21 July 2014 - 02:10 AM.
Split from News Topic ~Budapest

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:54 PM

Joanne, I've used a variant of that page myself (one of the tabs that opens every time that Google Chrome is launched) & haven't had troubles to date. 

https://www.ixquick.com/

It's important to understand that just because someone mentions something, including myself, it's not cast into stone, do your own research before implementing. 

Any ideas? Please PM me. Thanks 

We don't solve things by PM here. No disrespect towards you, it's that the community needs to see the solution applied, so that everyone can benefit. 

This is what you can do to try to get your networking back. Reboot your modem by removing the power cable, allow to stand for a minute & plug the cable back in. It'll take a minute or so for all lights to be flashing as normal. 

Now try doing what you normally do, there is also a Network Diagnostics for XP (the last OS in your profile you're shown running) if needed. 

I'm also going see about getting this moved into a new topic, this is hijacking a topic as is. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:31 PM

When you receive the logon error what are you logging onto, a website, Windows?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 JoanneMT

JoanneMT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:46 AM

Hi Friends,

Let's not get into this... I messed up.  I was trying to uninstall a program that had made changes to my system and cleaned up junk files at the same time and never did get my TCP/IP settings back.  Machine couldn't find a "driver".  I tried everything... another problem reared its ugly head where the disk drives for DVD and CD were not being recognized.  SOOOO.... with much frustration and couldn't get online with you all, I reinstalled the OS.  Gateway said it was going to be a non-destructive re-install but they fibbed.  Luckily I have backups everywhere.

I'm stuck at XP SP2, and don't think I want to bother with upgrading to SP3 although I think I have the files and the links to do it.

Has anyone liked "Unbutu"?  I've read the "What Now" post here at Bleeping and that's where I learned about it.  I want to give it a try.  Although I have a tablet and an iphone that can get online, it is hard to ensure that my intended words get sent.  

To answer SneakyCyber, I was getting a connection to my modem, the packets were being sent, but not received on any website.  I called my ISP provider and we eliminated a bunch of problems. I must confess I am dim in the networking arena...  I did not know how to find backup drivers and somehow I had gotten a newer version of Chrome than was my profile.  It wanted me to update my profile.  Firefox just said it couldn't negotiate a connection.

Thank you, good friends.  We can close this unless you want more info on my puck-ups...  

#5 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:52 PM

Hey there JoanneMT, just wanted to throw a quick suggestion out there as you contemplate what to do with that old XP machine.

I would stay away from Ubuntu for a lot of reasons but the primary one would be because that old machine would probably not run that OS real well.

Instead, I would suggest Lubuntu - much lighter on the resources and from my personal experience, able to run well, right out of the box (well, ISO) on older machines.

Few weeks back my wife came home with an old work computer running XP that her work place didn't need any more. I've been fussing with this dual-boot thing on my current rig & I went through several steps getting everything ready for my new dual-boot (Windows 7 & Mint MATE).

After much fussin' and tweaking, everything worked out well and I'm humming along.

Now I'm looking at this old XP machine, and thinking, "well, what would happen if I just dropped this Lubuntu ISO disc in there without tweaking or setting up anything?"

And so I do     and then *pow* it asks me if I want to set it up right next to XP and I say, "yes" and then select what ever it throws at me - default settings across the board and then after updating and then a reboot - I'm running a dual boot old XP / Lubuntu machine with no work.

Can't guarantee your install will go that smooth but since you've already made mention that you've got back ups every where, I'd say give it a shot. It's a good looking OS and runs pretty darn fast on my old cr*ppy machine.

And, the Linux / Unix Forums are chock full o' folks that would love to help.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2014 - 10:36 PM

I'm stuck at XP SP2, and don't think I want to bother with upgrading to SP3 although I think I have the files and the links to do it.

Why would you not want to upgrade to SP3? The performance enhancements alone would be worth it, plus the many security patches issued afterwards. You do not need to select the optional .NET Framework 4.0, unless you have a specific need for it.

However the rest is great to have, if you're going to continue to run the OS. Support for XP SP2 ended long ago. 

In the end, the choice is yours, though. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 26 July 2014 - 12:22 AM

And so I do     and then *pow* it asks me if I want to set it up right next to XP and I say, "yes" and then select what ever it throws at me - default settings across the board and then after updating and then a reboot - I'm running a dual boot old XP / Lubuntu machine with no work.

Yes  It is that easy most of the time, However as you know sometimes things happen, It is always a good idea to have backups if you intend to dual boot, If not just let Linux get rid of that pesky Windows.

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:03 AM

Yes  It is that easy most of the time, However as you know sometimes things happen, It is always a good idea to have backups if you intend to dual boot, If not just let Linux get rid of that pesky Windows.

Yes, & as Nick stated, Windows can be pesky. 

Why is it that a base install of most versions of Linux, including updating, takes less than 45 minutes (dependent on system & ISP speeds)? Adding software & fine tuning things an hour or two. 

And at the same time, most any version of Windows, but especially XP, Vista & Windows 7. First, driver installs, requires several update cycles & reboots in between. Install, activate & update Office if needed. After this, a defrag, backup of initial install/update. Then install extra needed software, run a security scan of all, a final defrag & backup (keep both backups for the life of the install) takes a few more hours. With luck, a fast system & ISP speeds, one might can perform a fresh install of Windows in a full day. That is, if everything needed has been downloaded (or on hand) & ready to go. 

Oh & don't forget that recommended minimum monthly Full Disk image. Plus Data backups as needed (Linux requires Data backups also). 

That's a lot of work just thinking about it, let alone doing it.  :P

I believe Nick was biting his tongue by the "pesky" term. Closer to a pain in the backside. Windows requires lots of maintenance, be it 8.1 or anything below. Am so glad for those backups, at the present time, don't have it in me to perform a full install of a supported version of Windows in a single day. In my condition, would take a weekend. 

Setting up, running & maintaining most versions of Linux is a walk in the park, compared to Windows. Really a lot easier than many thinks & so is using the OS. If one can run Google Chrome or Firefox on Windows, it works & looks the same on a Linux OS. So does many more software choices that has a different name, but does the same thing. 

Best of all, no layers of security needed for the home user, though it's still an option & those who passes along lots of mail to Windows computers may would want one. Not to protect the Linux server, but the Windows customers who gets the emails. 

Cat

#9 JoanneMT

JoanneMT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:06 AM

Hi Cat and Nick, thank you for the suggestions!  Bleepers are wonderful peeps.  I do not have a dual boot machine; it only has 1.25 gigs of RAM and the disk is not as big as the gifted machine whose video card died and I did n't fix it b/c my other little monitor died. Now, I do have the second hard drive from the dead-video-card machine - do I have to have the dual-boot (does that mean two hard drives?)  

I came here to get the SP3 update so I could get my firewalls up - I have Mcafee so tight right now and deleted junk programs and have Revo so am keeping the directory readable.

If I replace the video card in the other machine it has 4 memory slots and I have 1 gig and two 500 MB and 1 250 MB and although they are supposed to match, the machine I'm on seems to recognize the 1250MB I have on the 2 slots.  (i'm doing this from memory from years ago.)

Thank you :-)

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:16 AM

You're quite welcome, Joanne! :)

Any time you need help, we're a few clicks & a post away. If you want me to see it & contribute, send me a PM & point me to the Topic, where I'll reply. 

Cat

#11 JoanneMT

JoanneMT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:19 AM

My pain in the backside is always here so I'm on my 3rd day of restoring and still at SP2.  Cat1092, I see you online here; do you see my PCs' descriptions, bottom line with only 1.25 gigs of ram and only one fixed disk, so I should go to SP3 that worked well (until I got paranoid again and broke it with too much software) and then use Lubuntu?  

I wanted to get my WEBROOT virus scanner back as it worked great. But Mcafee came out of the box from my backup on D: virtual.  Now I have an Iphone and Tablet and the hackers have got hold of my e-mails off gmail and I'm getting phone calls two hours after an e-mail referenced transaction.  The tablet seems especially risky since I don't think it shuts down when its turned off. It's a cheapie: I got it so I could rest my backside and work online but I don't understand it well enough to protect it.  It is full of garbage apps (not my doing) and I need to do some reading here about those.

#12 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:29 AM

Joanne, yes you should install SP3 for XP & then the software that you need, and no more. You'll see a noticeable improvement in performance. There were a few discussions about this a few months back. 

You can then perform a dual boot with Lubuntu, if that's what you want to do. 1.25GB should be plenty of RAM for that OS. 

However, get XP right first. 

Good Luck! :)

Cat

#13 JoanneMT

JoanneMT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:33 AM

Thank you, Cat

#14 JoanneMT

JoanneMT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:28 PM

OK, friends here we go again. The way I got the PC working again with internet connection and with my cd and dvd drives (one internal and one external) recognized by the OS, still stuck at XP SP2 and maybe a firewall from Mcafee that came with the PC, was to do a non-destructive restore via e-machine's virtual D: drive.  But it lost all my documents. Luckily I had them and my downloads folder. It was running fine until I deleted Napster (I believe) and I lost my CD/DVD drives recognition.  They light up when closing with a disk, spin a bit with noise, and go dark.  I did a disk defragment since I'd deleted so many files, and found that I now have less space on the hard drive than before I did the Restore.  I have a "My Passport Essential" mini USB backup disk drive.  It has plenty of space available, even with my documents and .exe files for Bleeping and my favorites like MiniToolBox, REVO, RKill, Super Anti Spyware, Webroot and MBAM.  I also found an ISO folder with a backup of a complete XP SP3 system, but I don't know which of my 2 XP SP3 PCs it came from. I have not understood how to do the ISO copydowns, I am possibly hesitant because I do not understand the 4 folder names.. Not sure I want to use it b/c I had so much untrusted registry entries.  At this point, I really need a secure PC to do some hacker-magnet business ASAP.

I so appreciate your guidance to get XP SP3 working and then I would select Linbutu I think. I was glad to find the Network Fix in the new downloads list - too bad I didn't see it earlier; but I just cannot sit here long enough to get work done.  I am considering downloading Linbutu just to see what it looks like and if I can get a secure e-mail connection going so I can get that paperwork done.  I do not trust my IPhone or my Tablet as I have not taken the time to study their OSs (android tablet and apple i-phone from vzn).  I'll PM Cat who so kindly invited me to do so and will be watching for a response.

I also want to thank Bleeping for the clarification on a post I thoughtlessly made: this is indeed an honorable and ethical site. I put a response on another post only because I have the same hardware and software, and I hope the user was not offended. I'll stick to my own business and the job of learning new technologies I have to use.  Thank you all again. Good day :gathering:

#15 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2014 - 09:02 PM

Yes you can install Lubuntu on your computer at any time. Though my may need to create a Topic in the Linux section on how to configure & all, that's where those whom knows LInux best are watching. Your request here in the Networking section for Lubuntu assistance will go unseen. 

As for getting SP3 for XP, download this ISO, burn the image to CD & install. This gives you a backup copy for future needs. 

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=24

OR:

Go back to Windows Update & choose the option to Restore Hidden Updates, if SP3 doesn't show in the list. Reboot & check again. SP3 will take several minutes to install & may require some interaction, it's been quite some time since I last grabbed SP3 this way. That's why I have & keep it on CD, though it's been unused for some time, I can rest assured of having SP3 installed on an XP computer in minutes, w/out networking holding me up. It's likely that Windows Update doesn't see SP3 for XP as a priority update for today's customers, so even though their "smaller version" is recommended, the Full version (link above) installs much faster. 

Cat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users